Hiatus Hernia misery...

Posted , 8 users are following.

I have been suffering for years now with several symptoms of what doctor thought was IBS. 

My tummy feel bloated, I have a sensation of having something stuck in my throat, having to clear my throat endlessly ever time of the day,  dry mouth ,loss of appetite to name a few.

I was prescribed Lansoprazole e told to  wait and see what happens, few month later, no improvements and  because I was losing weight I was prescribed Amitriptyline, which has given me good nights sleep (antidepressant) and a little bit of appetite. Year later same symptoms, so had a gastroscopy which diagnosed a Hernia Hiatus sliding 3cm.

Only thing I don't have heartburn, I have mucus in the throat instead and the feeling of having something stuck   - Globus Hystericus. I was also given Mebeverine, but I didnt even bother getting it from the pharmacy. Fed up with doctors giving you pills and not actually working on a permanent solution.

Nearly 3 years later now and I decided to research myself as I have found doctor been useless, wanting to give you PPI which in fact make thing worse and can cause cancer of the esophagus. And also saying that my symptoms are to do with the IBS and not with the Hernia. So I looked into Chiropractic see link, which could be a good alternative to surgery or pills for the rest of your life.

I will also try to drink a large glass of water first thing in the morning and then stand on tiptoes and then jump down, so that the weight of the water pushes the stomach down in to the abdomen .. Also there are lots of video on youtube and I will look into trying  to have a normal life again, I will not give up !

Is anybody looking to have Chiropractic adjustment or if you have can you share your experience please?

Thanks everybody for readingsmile

Moderator comment: I have removed the link(s) directing to site(s) unsuitable for inclusion in the forums. If users want this information please use the Private Message service to request the details.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Nell,

I have been given exercises by the chiropractor and they are very helpful. I also don't want to take ppi's and have managed to stop, just take gaviscon occasionally. I am careful with my diet and sleep with a raised pillow. Still get some symptoms but the exercises have proved useful.  Acupuncture may be good as well although I havn't tried it.

• Posted

Hi Susan

Thanks for your response. I think Acupuncture is my next thing on the list and I am also doing the Chiropractic massage to help pushing the stomach back into the abdomen every night. Are you doing similar exercises?

• Posted

Hi Nell,

Yes, I do the massage and I find breathing into the diaphragm very helpful.  Small meals as well. It is a life changing thing and can be hard, if you have the acupuncture let me know how you get on.

• Posted

So you have an asymptomatic Hiatus Hernia - If you’re overweight then loosing weight might cure this.

IBS is often triggers by anxiety or certain foods. If you have anxiety problems - take up regular vigorous exercise, such as jogging. If you think its food related - keep a food and symptoms diary and experiment with your diet.

• Posted

Hi Ben

Thanks for your reply.

I think it maybe more food related as I am under 8 stone in weight. I do regularly swim twice a week and once a week power walk, maybe I will need to increase it a bit.  I follow a FODMAP but it seems that everything I eat makes me bloat like a balloon... I gave up dairy, wheat ,garlic onion coffee tomatoes and more,sad however  still no improvements...

• Posted

I'm glad you have found relief through chiropractic medicine. I think most people who are really in tune with their bodies will KNOW what works for them best. Soooo..... do what works for you!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.