Hiatus hernia pain: PLEASE HELP!

Posted , 2 users are following.

So, a few years ago I was having issues with what I thought was my stomach, every time I visited the doctors I would point to the area just below the middle of my breasts and told them it was stomach pain because that's where I thought the stomach was instead of where is actually is which is lower and to the left a little, (but apparently a hernia in the area I have it, is my stomach sliding up). That's how a doctor explained it to me. (I'll also mention, I'm currently 32st 6lbs down from 34st 11lbs).

So after some time, I got sent to have a camera down to my stomach and they found that I had a hiatus hernia, all they did was give me acid reflux tablets that never helped. And over these years I've just be shoved on different types of AR tabs that never helped.

As more time has gone on, the area where the hernia is has ballooned out. At times the pain is excruciating and goes right to the middle of my back, making my already bad back pain worse. Eating hurts, walking hurts, sitting hurts, laying down hurts, I can't even shower properly because the pain from it literally makes me throw up.

I sometimes wake up crying in the middle of the night in so much pain because of it. I've called 111 (UK NHS helpline), the lady was wonderful and told me to take some paracetamol while waiting for a call from the night doctor. And by the time the doctor called the pain was almost gone. But I don't want to be dependent on medication.

The night doctor managed to get me an appointment to get another camera down but I freaked out and almost ripped the camera from my throat. (I have a massive fear of not being able to swallow).

Anyway it's absolutely controlling my life, a few weeks ago I'd had enough and contacted my local doctor's office. And after talking on the phone for about 20 minutes, I was on the verge of crying, all she did was give me more acid reflux tablets and gaviscon.

It's like she didn't listen to one word I said and I even told her that the AR tablets don't work. I need help. Otherwise there is only one option to stop all the pain. I'm not even joking. This is one of the reasons I'm so depressed. I physically and mentally can't do it any more. Please, if you've suffered like this, please help me, give me advice!

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.