Hiatus Hernia receipes to help

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi all I'm currently having a very bad time with my HH and am in pain everyday weather I eat very carefully or not at all (for the fear of an attack)!!

I'm now not able to eat most of the things I enjoy including my beautiful lasagne and spaghetti bolognese which has hit me hard!

I now need some receipes to replace my meals as I have 2 young children (1 1/2 yr old girl and 4 yr old boy) so am in need of energy to keep up with them.

Please could I ask you to add receipes that have helped you and that you were able to eat at bad times that could keep me going or technics - times to take tablets (Lansoprazole twice a day) or to eat or even how long to sit down for after a meal.

How do you deal with the pain after an attack?? I hurt the day or even days after and with 2 kids to look after I can't take strong painkillers!! HELP please!!

I'm so glad I found this forum to know I'm not alone!!

Thank you in advance

X

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Vicky

I know how you feel but as yet I haven't found what triggers it off. I have an element of pain daily but it can be unbearable at times. I am awaiting a visit back to the gastroenterologist and have been given numerous drugs to try and help. Are you on anything? Currently I take lanzoprozole in the morning and gaviscon at night. I have also been given dosulepin to help me sleep. All I know is avoid spice, citrus and currently I limit wheat . I havecraised the head of the bed yo avoid lying flat I wish there was an easy answer but I am sure as you have read it appears not but it's something you are not alone with. Sorry I am not much help

• Posted

Thanks for the reply X the alone part in the middle of a fit at 3 in the morning is the worst bit!! But I actually didn't know how many people were affected by this and was feeling v down until I found this site!!! I'm on Lansoprazole twice a day and gaviscon if I eat that day..... I have to choose pain and energy so I can't do much anyway or look like death but just ache and get through the day with my 2 babies. I'm not a fab cook and don't know many receipes but what I do know I can't eat any more.

It's nice to talk with someone in the same boat.

X

• Posted

Hi, sorry you are having these problems. I've got HH and gallbladder problems and been through severe digestive pain bloating, nausea, slow digestion - eating is a real problem. There does not seem to be any help from NHS, other then the PPI meds as you are on. They made me much worse so I no longer take them and now only need occasional gaviscon or other otc antacids.

It has taken months, I think we are all so different as to what we can tolerate, but solid foods bothered me at the worst so home made soups and chicken flavour nutritional drinks, pureed fruits, jellies and soft puddings helped me survive. I make my own soup as bought ones have ingredients I can't tolerate. I throw veg, usually butternut squash, sweet potato, carrots, potato, gluten free stock cubes into the slow cooker, when they are cooked blend them. I can eat occ baked potato or sweet potato but due to gallstones no butter, so I add fat free gravy so it is not dry. Smoothies also were a help - I add green powder for extra nutrition as green veg as such has proved a no for a while.

I can now eat canned salmon with grated beetroot & cider vinegar on gluten free crackers, tiny amount of chicken, also yogurts, strawberries and blueberries with meringues and banana custard. Breakfast is gluten free cereal with maple syrup, ground flaxseeds and almonds, berries and yogurt and I use lactose free milk. I am not known to be allergic to regular milk or gluten but the alternatives proved easier to digest for me. You may be very different, but this is mostly my diet since last year. I'm awaiting gallbladder surgery (long story!) sometime, its been cancelled a few times, so I don't know what if any difference this will make. The drs say they will look into any other issues if they still remain after surgery. Such a nightmare, my life has fallen apart with this and other stressful things going on. I also have low vitamin D. I take lots of supplements as I know my diet is not the best and go for liquid ones if possible - easier to digest.

I found I was very bloated and burping all the time, but taking oregano oil and probiotics has helped as I truly think there was a bacterial imbalance on the gut, after all I have gone through and past antibiotic therapy. Do you ever have dizziness and palpitations? I used to get adrenaline rushes all through the night and pains like heart attack, which were not heart when checked.These were a bane at first, for me - occuring less now.

Not sure that my limited regime is of any help to anyone else as it seems everyone has different tolerances. I did go to a chiropractor for some manipulation of the back, neck and the diaphragm which is said can help HH, it did at first then not so much, so do not go now.

For pain, I used to have heated packs and massaged the abdomen with aromatherapy oils. I can usually manage with only the occ. paracetamol now. I drink green tea, decaff tea and coffee as these suit me fine, cutting them out did nothing to help but I know they can be acidic for some folk. I also make lemon and ginger tea and take charcoal capsules if any severe gas pains.

Hope you will improve soon and be able to eat your pasta dishes. I have not tried pasta yet, but will try the gluten free type - gradually, I only introduce one "new" thing a week as so scared of HH or Gb kicking off. Good Luck!

• Posted

Thank you!! So much help!!!

When I went for my endoscope the dr doing it said he would put his wage on me having gallstone but the consultant said there was nothing else to investigate.

4 weeks ago I was spitting blood in middle of night with 2 kids in bed and my other half who works so much so I took a picture and thought I will deal with that in the morning. It was after being sick which was a daily occurance since having my little girl so thought it could wait until Monday as it was early Sunday morning. I left my other half in bed and took the kids on the back of my house where the kids could play and felt like I was having an asthma attack so I used my inhaler (a bit too much and arms was tingling) so thought I would ring 111 to get an appointment with a dr as I wasn't feeling good at this point and with spitting blood night before I needed to be seen. As I was on the phone a really didn't feel well and the questions she was asking me o was answering and I remember her saying have you ever had a heart attack before? To which I said no. She then said she wanted to send an ambulance but I couldn't explain at this point where I was as I could see my house but wasn't there so I said my mum will take me. I left the kids with my other half and my mum took me straight to A&E as I was really short of breathe and in pain. They saw me with 15 mins gave me codine which did nothing and they already had a canular in so decided to give me mophene which worked! The dr who dealt with me asked my my dr of consultant hadn't prescribed anti sickness tablets and gave me some X since then I haven't been sick everyday but still occasionally but have had the palpitations and full spasm attack every night and some are worse than others and I cannot move the day after like I've been in a fight!!

I have lost over 7 st since having my daughter and still loosing which is the only positive thing to come out of this!

I still cook all the hearty meals I used to love but my relationship with food has changed and it no longer comforts me it frightens me! I don't drink or smoke but was the biggest coffee drinker which has now stopped and I can have water! My other half has come home with a juicer and new steamer and has now got me another slow cooker so I can do my meal as well as the families.

I was also a massive milk drinker so I will try the lactose free X

Thanks for the comment really appreciate talking with someone who knows the battle!

Xx hope your ok and keep on improving xx

• Posted

Hi Vicky & Cynthia,

This really is an awful thing. I too have been to a&e when I felt I couldn't breath it can go on for days. Had tests on my heart & lungs and all ok. Changed my gp a year ago as I was fed up with being told I probably had anxiety! I have been persistent to a point a few months ago had to have my eosophagus stretched as I felt I was being strangled this it seems can happen with HH. 2 years + on and I am still no closer except I am now I am awaiting to see a consultant surgeon. I have found some relief from reading on this site I was getting to the point doctors were thinking I was some nut case lol. I also found morphine helped on bad nights but only the hispital have ever given this to me. I also wake up feeling I have an adrenelin rush and fast heart beat irs very scary. It's good to know we are not alone x

• Posted

Hi I dealt w the same thing for 40 years but back then i would only get an attack maybe once a yr.  This last year was the worst, and yes red sauce, wine, would trigger never ate it until this past week....It compromised my health the last year even medications were triggering it...i am now 65 and knew i can no longer live in fear especially we travel alot.  The pain mimics a heart attack when happenng....I had the surgery in March the best thing i could have done....i just recently had spaghetti and was fine. Surgeon told me i would be able to eat anything again...I had the HH and Nissen Funcoplication done as I had 60% stomach acid backing up into the HH because the sphincter was weak in my stomach.....That is why i had the horriffic chest pains....I have my life back...RX Nexium was working the last few months til i had the surgery.  I took every ppi known through the yrs...the dr had to give me nitro glycerin when i had an attack to stop the chest pain...I did that once and nearly blacked out so that was ruled out ...Now i do have my life back .... HH is not anything i would let go due to mine was sliding according to the endoscopy but when he operated he said it was not sliding it was the opposite and large,,,,,good  luck and find an excellent doctor to treat you....mobody should suffer and it only gets worse
  • Posted

I've been having a hard time with eating, too.   Gets very frustrating at times.  Am going back to see my surgeon this coming Thursday.   I guess you might try eating ice cream, yogurt, puddings, etc.   These foods are what I rely on.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.