Hiatus Hernia Repair - Yay or Nay?

Posted , 27 users are following.

Hi guys! Just looking a little advice regarding Hiatus Hernias, a weak sphincter valve and fundoplication surgery versus other methods of treatment. 

First a little about myself. I am 22 years old, living in UK (Northern Ireland) and have just been diagnosed with a small hiatus hernia and an un-functioning sphincter valve. 

I have been suffering with pains for almost 4 years now, since age 18. GERD.. Reflux, stomach pains, chest pains, sore throat, coughing, the weirdest belching sound which is almost constant and sounds like a dragon around my breast bone (I physically can not burp) vomiting, periods of constipation/diarrhea, back pain.. The list really is endless, and these symptoms are mostly intermittent but sometimes very severe and debilitating. 

It massively affected my life, especially throughout university and I don't know how much more I can take. I have had to pass up on massive career opportunities and miss a lot of work because of my health. I was hoping to travel to Australia in the early half of 2015 but I don't think it is realistic with my current health problems.

In the last 4 years the NHS have literally part diagnosed/suggested I have all number of diseases, or sometimes told me there is nothing wrong at all.. I have been treated/diagnosed/referred for bronchitis, Celiac disease, MA, arthritis, and a whole host of other random things.. But have never heard the word hernia mentioned.. To be honest up until a month ago I though a hernia was something boys got on their bits!

I have tried every type of antacid available. Tablet form, steroids, some rotten pink liquid, gluten/lactose free diet, laxatives, pain relief.. To be honest nothing has ever really worked notably and as I am quite bad at taking tablets I would occasionally forget to take them and not feel any better/worse off for it.

I have been to see endless GPs, had a 6 night stay in hospital, been to out of hours, A+E and never really got any answers apart from a prescription for yet more drugs and on the odd occasion a referral.

Finally made the decision to go private about a month ago after an NHS gastro doc suggested an Endoscopy. I couldn't wait months for answers so after finding out my Dad's company have private health insurance with H3 for our whole family I booked into Kingsbridge private hospital in Belfast. In the last month I have had my private consultation, a barium meal which revealed a small hiatus hernia and a weakening in the stomach valve (apparently mine does not close at all!) this was re-confirmed with an endescopy and I had a colonoscopy to confirm there was no bowel problems. 

I had my evaluation appointment today with the private consultant who has recommended a dietician, some form of antacid, a laxative to relieve pressure around my bowels to hopefully relieve some abdominal pain and a review appointment in 3 months.. I broke into tears when he said this.. Although I have had a definite diagnosis which I am massively relieved about, it is exactly the same thing I have had tons of NHS docs tell me.. Meds meds and more meds! He polished it up with a dietician and said the only other option is surgery but he wouldn't advice because I am too young and there are a lot of complications. 

I came on tonight to research the surgery and although the side effects some of you guys are facing seem awful I doubt it is worse than how I feel now. Honestly I feel like I have nothing to loose! 

I have booked a review appointment for 3 months with the same consultant but now I am seriously considering ringing tomorrow to book another appointment and beg for this surgery.. I feel like I am 22 and my young adult life hasn't even started yet.

In an ideal world I would get the surgery in around January, have a few months recovery and be on a plane to Australia sipping strawberry daiquiris by April. I understand recovery can take much longer than this but I am at a wits end.

I just wanted to appeal to any one else in a similar situation to see their thoughts.. Do you recommend surgery, have you had it done, How did the procedure/recovery go? Or can you recommend any other forms of treatment? 

I am particularly interested in finding someone who has the complication with the valve also as I have only been able to find one comment relating which said it involves another part to the procedure to replace/repair the valve while they are fixing the hernia? 

Thanks

Robyn 

3 likes, 66 replies

66 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Yes I had the same problems, surgeon said I would be cured and likely would no longer need meds. But after about 18 months I am worse than before, had to be scoped again found that wrap had come loose and sphincter was always wide open so now anytime I lay down stomach acid comes up into my throat which causes all sorts of issues.. Think long and hard about this surgery, I wish I could go back but once it's done there is no going back. Maybe try some supplements, vitamin d, magnesium, good luck 
  • Posted

Hi Robyn - suggest you make sure you get yourself sorted before coming to Australia as we are in exactly the same boat as you guys overthere in that really good GI's are darn hard to find. Dont get too disheartened with what you read here as the guys that get cured tend not report back so you cant get skewed opinions.
  • Posted

Hi all,

That's the first time I am sharing my story on a forum of fellow sufferers but I recognise myself in your testimonials. I am French but I have been living in the UK for about 2 years and half now.

I am 23 and have been diagnosed with a sliding 3 cm Hiatus Hernia last September. All started in August 2013 when one day I had all of sudden stomach cramps which would last for hours during several days... After several visits to the GP and A&E who thought I had at first apendicitis, then a gallbladder infection I was left with some antibiotics and been told to drink lots of fluids because the final diagnosis was a kidney infection (the pain was that strong that it would also go up to my lower back). The "big" pain went away but for a year after that I would still have that constant stomach pain on one spot in particular. I came back to see the GP who thought that time I might be celiac, but all my tests came back clear, he then told me it might be my abdominal muscles and prescribed me ibuprofene gel... I just kept having this pain and tried and coped with it as I had no idea of what it would be, but a year after the massive stomach cramps episode, it started all over again... my GP referred me to the Hospital on same day access, they gave me some Oméprazole and told me that they would book an endoscopy (in August at that time), but after this it just kept getting worse and worse (the Oméprazole didn't help at all), my boyfriend and his family started to panick and brought me several times to A&E as my stomach pain was unbearable (I was about to pass out when it would kick off). I was off sick for 2 weeks at work. The last time I went to A&E they gave Lanzoprazole and some Fybogel to release the pression around my stomach and told me to wait for the endoscopy which I did whilst suffering. I finally had my endoscopy at the end of September and finally had an answer : Hiatus Hernia. I had no idea of what a "hiatus" hernia was at that time and discovered all the downsides... since my endoscopy my condition went from back to worse :

I experience chest pains, shortbreathing, oesophagus pains, stomach pains, heartburns, a tight throat feeling and from time to time  regurgitations as well as food sticking in the back of my throat (due to tightness). My qualifty of life dramatically decreased : I used to be a gymnast and to dance and I am now unable to do so because of the pain and the heartburns when I exercise. 

I moved flat since the first GP consultations and with my new GP we figured out that I can't tolerate PPIs and I am now with Ranitiding 300mg twice a day + Gaviscon Advance. It relieves the symptoms but they are still there and I am still unable to do all the things I used to do : I am constantly tired, in pain and feeling sick. My GP finally decided to refer me to a GI surgeon, who himself referred me for an oesophagial and PH manometry that I had done 2 weeks ago. I am now seeing him again in 2 weeks and I don't know what to think if he suggests a surgery as I could see really good but also really bad testimonials about the outcomes of it....

I am sorry for the big message I just wrote but it's kind of nice to talk with people who understand what it is to live with a hiatus hernia, and I'm also sorry for any mistake in English smile

• Posted

Hi maloushka

sorry i have not replied earlier but i have only just found your posting. I am sorry to read that you are feeling so poorly but i am glad that you are getting some comfort from reading of others experiences on here.Interestingly enough my GP as just added Ranitiding to my prescription but as yet i cannot say i have noticed any difference in my sleep patterns.I was also interested to read you feel constantly tired because I too feel like that but as yet none of our forum colleagues as mentioned it.Whether you have surgery or not I hope things improve for you speedily.

Also please do not apologise for mistakes in your english as its fine and I certainly could express myself in french so eloquently. Best wishes Ted

• Posted

Hi Maloushka,

I am waiting for a fundoplication operation and hernia repair. I am on the same meds as you are - as I couldn't take PPI's either. I have read up on the operation - and looked at pro's and con's, and I feel for me it is the best option. You have to think whether you want to spend you life on tablets, or strict diets or go for the surgery - which to some is extreme - but the hernia won't fix itself - and the muscle damage is already done. I do think it is good to find a surgeon who has done the operation a lot of times, as you are less likely to have problems later on. I am having a 270 fundoplication as opposed to a full 360 - less problems with belching and vomiting after.

I hope that you get sorted soon!

• Posted

Thank you both Glennie68 and ted41159!

It's always nice to get some support. 

Ted41159 : Ranitidine took 3 weeks to actually works for me. I also noticed the difference when I had to be off treatment for 4 days for the 24 hour PH test, my symptoms just multiplied by 10! And then when I started to take back the Ranitidine it took a good week to works again. 

Glennie68 : I do think that th operation is probably the best option for me, taking into account that I am only 23 and I really don't want to take tablets all my life. I read a lot about it too, I know recovery won't be easy and will take long but I am ready to go through it if I can be symptom free afterwards! I hope the surgery will work for you!

I am seeing the surgeon  (who apparently has loads of experience and is excellent, I hope people are right about him!) on the 5th of February to get the results of my oesophagial and PH manometry and to decide on the surgery...I'll keep you posted!

• Posted

Hi Maloushka,

Yes - it will be good to know how it goes for you. I am booked for my surgery 10th March - so it's just a waiting game for me now.

• Posted

Glennie, Maloushka Good luck to you both and please make sure you keep us informed of your progress.

Its bad enough getting something like this at my age let alone at your young ages.I will keep taking the Ranti.. given you say it may take a little longer to kick in.

Glennie I will remember your appointment date as its my birthday.

Regards

Ted

• Posted

Hi guys,

Sorry for the delay in giving you news but my appointment was cancelled and then postponed and I finally saw the surgeon yesterday.

The good news is that they found out what's my exact problem and that I don't need surgery, the bad news is according to them that there is nothing they can to fix or at least releave it...

They found out after my PHmetry that the acid reflux I have does not come from my stomach but is actually bile reflux... According to the surgeon all I can do is eating small meals more frequently (which I was already doing) and drinking yakult or actimel! I was so upset when he told me that nothing could help that I could not think of any question, but now I have calm down I have loads.

He did not tell me about any potential complications, I would assume that my oesophagus and stomach being in contact with bile every single day might be damaged in the long run. He did not talk about any monitoring. or any potential risks in the long term.

I feel very frustrated and upset. I am going to book a new appointment with my GP and ask all my questions and might consider asking for a second opinion.

I hope that you are all doing well.

Regards,

Maelle

• Posted

Hi there

ive been on meds for about 8 years now! theyre making me feel really ill,im very tired ,feel sick.

Ive had a hernia confirmed via endoscopy,im waiting for a PH test and a mannometry which im very worried about !

Im hoping im suitable for the linx,its nice to be on a forum where people understand.

• Posted

Hi Matthew,

Don't be too worried about the manometry and ph tests - they are nowhere near as bad as the endoscopy! Be aware that having a linx repair is dependent on the size of your hiatus hernia - they are not keen on doing this if your hernia is bigger than 3cm. I'm sure you will be well informed by your surgeon anyway - and they wouldn't mention it if you were not a good candidate, However it's not the end of the world if you have to get a more permanent wrap - I had a 270 toupet done back in March and have been totally med free ever since. I can still belch - and I'm sure I could be sick - but I'll leave that one for now :-) nissen wraps tend to be much tighter, and you do hear that belching and vomiting becomes a problem. Not sure about vomiting with the linx either - as I have heard they can be quite tight too! You'd need to ask someone who's had it done!

Hope all goes well for you!

• Posted

hi i had mine done in october 2013 and still having complications today 

the pooeration went well and i thaught all the trouble was over, but the side effects of the operation are worse for me than before if i had the choise again i would say NO to having it again..

i have had diarrhea sice the operatio and still have it now (Dumig Syndrome ) so im told, i have to totaly change my diet and have lost so much weight i have had to but all new clothes.i cant even have a cup of tea anymore or im straight to the toilet. i was told i am one of the unlucky ones by the surgeon and my gp and will have to put up with it .make sure you find out about ALL of the side effects as i was never told about this and would have had second thoughts if i knew.

One good thing is no more Acid reflux 

• Posted

Any advice someone could guve me? I'm 16 with about the same situation as OP.

• Posted

Hi Robyn,

I don't know whether you still follow this post but I'm wondering whether you went ahead with the surgery? I'm 25 and have also been diagnosed with a small hiatus hernia, I take lansoprazole every few days for acid reflux (I find I can get away with not taking it daily) however I'm concerned about the long-term effects. I also, like you, can't burp at all. Sometimes I force the air out from gagging, almost like I'm going to be sick but instead I just do a huge burp. I reckon the force of doing this frequently could have been the cause of my hernia. The results of my endoscopy didn't suggest any reason for my lack of burping and the doctor told me the hernia would normally cause people to burp more?!

Anyway, I'd be really interested to hear more about your experiences and whether you've found any relief!

Clare

• Posted

Hi Clare, I take coke zero some time, it's help to let the gaz out and give you a small break.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.