Hiatus Hernia - Surgery?

Posted , 15 users are following.

Hi, I have been reading the posts here and would very much like to ask peoples opinion on keyhole surgery. I have been diagnosed with a 3cm Hiatus hernia after many years of suffering on and off from breathing problems, indigestion, soreness in oesophagus. I have recently had to give up my job so this has severely affected mylifestyle. I have taken all the advise for diet,raising the bed, taking medication etc but this time around I am unable to free myself of symtoms. I have an appointment to discuss the option of surgery but, have read many stories here of people who have suffered a lot following the procedure.......help! What do I do?the alternative of doing nothing is making me miserable

0 likes, 61 replies

61 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Christine

I am not un sympathetic to your condition but as i said in the beginning my Hiatus Hernia may be attributing to a condition known as (IPF) Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis where the acid from the stomach actually gets into the Lungs and gets worse over time. Not that is I have any symptoms of H.H. but I have been prescribed Lansoprazole 15 mg once per day, which I can't take as I get a feeling of choking in my windpipe?

I am a man of 70 years and under Papworth Hospital; they say I may have 3 years to live but may be extended if I take a drug which will destroy my immune system yet I would have to use a sun factor 50 cream everyday - I just wonder if life is worth this - I am not on oxygen which they say may extend my life but in the final analysis is it all worth it as I can continue my life as it is, happily without all this crap!

I appreciate your problems, ours could be related, who knows; I hope your condition improves but at the end of the day you must ask questions as to scenarios?

Hope this helps.

Kind regards

Richard Banks

• Posted

Thanks Richard, I will ask some questions. Sorry to hear yours has taken a more serious turn, I certainly hope your treatment helps you and I dowish youthe best of luck
  • Posted

I have a small hernia but was told that the Vegus nerve could be being irritated by the acid and could be causing my breathing problems.  The only way for them to be able to prove it though is for me to have the Linx op (depending on my manometry test results which I will be getting next Monday).  If my breathing goes back to normal then I will have proof.  If it doesn't then I'm stumped.  Hope you get things sorted.
    • Posted

Hi Gail,

I've read this somewhere too and is very interesting to hear again. Please let me know how you get on on Monday and I hope you getthings sorted. Keep in touch

• Posted

Hi Christine

Firstly I would say I am 70 years of age and been diagnosed with an IPF (Idiopathic Palmonary Fibrosis) and a slight Hiatus hernia? They say I have 3 years of life left but I question this as I don't smoke and keep away from second hand cigarette smoke BUT my breathing is not what it should be.

They say I will have to take a medication called Pirifenidone but living in Ipswich my GP surgery says it is not on the list of prescribed drugs they can offer me due to it being so expensive? Who then would offer me the drug! Not that I mind as in taking it - I would have to use Factor 50 sun cream every day and I am not at this stage prepared to do so.

My Hiatus Hernia is not a problem at present and currently take Lansoprazole 15mg every day one per day and I would never have an operation for it.

Life is for living - I will never give up my alcohol which is controlled and I keep my brain physically active. (a past GP of mine said if I can do this,you will live a long life) This is what I intend to do despite any discomfort I feel. So keep a positive attitude and you will live a long life. I even take holidays in Scotland where the air is cleaner.

This may not help you, I don't know but it helps me - we alll have different criteria and only you will know what path to take.

Kind regards

Jazztrain

• Posted

I am.currently suffering with a hietus hernia which is 10cm I've been told it is quite.large so is also affecting my breathing as the hernia puts pressure on your lungs I also have no pressure on the muscle that opens and closes when you eat and drink therefore causing severe acid reflux I have an appointment on Tuesday when I will know when I'll be having my operation as it is causing lots of health issues
    • Posted

Hi Sharon,

10cm! OMG and I thought my 3cm HH was causing me problems! I have an appointment with a gastrointerologist at the end of June and waiting for an appointment with Respiritory consultant but a year later and my life is still so affected by this its awful. I have been told by some that a small HH wont cause me these problems but if it isnt then what is it! Am still frustrated! Let me know how you get on Tuesday

• Posted

Will do I had to have a tube through my nose into my asophegus for 24hrs also has a test before that there is a muscle which opens and closes when you eat and drink they did a presume test on mine and it isn't working so they'll need to repair that at same time I'm also suffering with gastritis and inflammation of the oesophagus stomach and small intestine plus ulcers so not in good shape at minute the hernia is affecting my lifestyle and work it feels like I am being crushed even when I talk I get out of breath so hopefully they'll do the op
    • Posted

The out of breath thing is awful, I kow exactly what you mean I have got out of breath too even just talkig other times I can go for a walk and be ok.My love is dancing, modern jive and I very rarely go now, when I do I get out of breath fast and my heart feels like it's beating out of my chest. I just wish I could feel normal again.
    • Posted

Most of the time I feel like I've been punched in the upper stomach, feels like I;ve been badly winded. It's so uncomfortable isn't it? And scary too
    • Posted

It is I'm in pain 24/7 more or less I'm lucky if I get an hours peace from it I also sleep a lot and find it hard to stay awake I was late for work today hour and half and I didn't go in the day before luckily my bosses are understanding and know how badly this is affecting me as I am supposed to take things easy no bending heavy lifting etc doctors even told me that if I get pain in my left arm I've to 999 it straight away luckily it hasn't got that far
    • Posted

Oh thats not good for you, hope they sort you out soon its all pretty scary I know what it's like to be in pain 24/7. Why does it take so long on the NHS to get things done, I'm geeting so fed up with it all
    • Posted

Hi Christine,

Hope you are feeling better. I saw my cardiologist about 5 weeks ago and she said she don't think I have A-FIB and that it is ectopic beats which she diagnosed me with last year. I saw another Dr when I was in hospital for the night about 6 months ago and my cardiologist said the Dr I saw, assumed I had A-FIB and if the tests come back that it is not A-FIB I can come off the blood thinners which is good.  She wanted me to have two heart monitors at home, one 24 hr and one for 5 days. I have done the 24 hr on Wednesday and now I am on the 5 day monitor. I am also having an echocardiogram but don't know how long I have to wait for that. She will then send the results to a electrophisiologist at another hospital to see if I qualify for an ablation to get rid of the palpitations. The cardiologist said I might have a problem with the AV node in my heart because of all the burping and palpitations, she said it interferes with the stomach. I also saw a gastroenterologist Dr 3 weeks ago for my hiatus hernia and because I lost so much weight since this has been going on he wants me to have a CT scan which I am having at the end of this month. The Dr put urgent on the letter. Only problem is, the Dr also wants me to have a manometry for 24 hrs to find out if it is my hernia causing the problem but I can't stand anything put down my throat, I gag for the least thing. I have read it is very unpleasant. Have you had this done? I have had lots of things done over the past 5 weeks one after the other including lots of blood tests. The AV node is interesting and if it is that, I could have the operation and it should stop all my stomach problems and palpitations, just have to wait and see now.     

• Posted

Hi Sharon,I read your post and see you had a tube put up your nose and down your throat. The gastroenterologist wants me to have this done but I am not sure. I will be gagging all the time and hate anything in my throat. I also suffer with lots of palpitations and don't fancy having the tube in my throat while having them.  How did you manage with it?
    • Posted

Hi Merryl,

I'm still having problems. Cardiologist has said the tests they have done have found no problems with my heart. I have a first appointment with a gastroenterologist at the end of June. So I'm still waiting. I am like you I gag on anything in my throat but I am guessing I may have to have the same test - good luck with yours and I hope it isn't as bad as you think, maybe don't read anymore about it (but I'd be like you and look it up!). Its frustrating all this time and nofurther forward!

• Posted

Hi Christine,

If I have the manometry I am afraid after eating food it will come back up into my throat when the tube is in there and make me choke. The same Gastro Dr who wants me to have the manometry is the same Dr who ordered the CT scan. I am hoping the scan will show something on there and I might get away with having the manometry. Good luck with the Dr and let me know how you get on.

• Posted

Hi I had it done a few weeks ago and it isn't that bad I have a large hietus hernia which is 10cm and surgery was top of gastrologist drs lit but had to have that test done first
    • Posted

Hi, how  did you manage to eat food when the tube was down your throat for 24 hrs? Sometimes food gets stuck in my oesophagus after eating and cause gagging. 
    • Posted

Hi it isn't that bad to be honest I have the same issues with food getting stuck but I just took smaller bites and ate slowly which helped the only thing when swallowing you can slightly feel the tube tugging at top of your nose but I found that if you just press top of your nose slightly just to stop the movement it isn't an issue but all in all its not that bad I thought I would have had major issues but I was fine hope this helps
    • Posted

Hi Sharon

Please tell me what type of surgery you had, I also have a large hh 8cmand I will be seeing a surgeon next month. I would so appreciate to hear from you and how you are feeling now.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.