Hiatus Hernia Surgery

Posted , 95 users are following.

I'm due to go in for surgery on Wednesday and a bit terrified as I always feel like I am choking when I eat food and the only way I can cope is by getting sick....not being able to do this after surgery has me freaked out bit time. Just hoping that the positives of having this done will take away the feeling of having food lodged in my throat and I can have a normal life. I've had this condition since I was 16 and I'm 39 now. Hopefully I will get better after this. Anyone going through this too or have gone through this and come out the other side? Could use some positive vibes right now.

6 likes, 199 replies

199 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I have just been to the consultant and his preliminary findings are that I have a hiatal hernia will be having the endoscopy on the 2 may to have a look inside. I have been troubled with a bloated stomach for almost two months now. I had a bit of heart burn then lots of bloating. Not sure whether the hernia is caused by the bloating so waiting for tests to follow. Now i just suffer from reflux which is non painful as I don't have an acidic stomach but its not very nice eating regurgitated food.

What made you have the surgery and what type of hernia did you have?

Is it bloating which is making you full? There is a fermented milk called kefir which is drunk by people who have irritable bowel syndrome and people who have crohns disease which says it helps relieve bloating, and is an excellent probiotic recolonising your gut.

• Posted

I had the surgery after a lot of thought and discussion. It wasn't something I entered into lightly. I was diagonised with the hiatus hernia when I was 16, and after twenty three years of severe acid reflux I ended up with Barrett's which if untreated can lead to cancer. My only option was to have the surgery as they had done all they could for the Barrett's and it was a last choice situation. The surgery did go well but I am unable to eat solids and unlikely to be able to for at least a year, and even then no meat or bread as the opening is too small. I may have to go back and have the opening stretched if possible but I'm not wanting to go through more surgery in that area if I can help it.

There are amazing meds for hiatus hernia's now and if you can avoid surgery do so. My mom has had a hiatus hernia and bleeding ulcers for over ten years and the meds have done the trick for her so fingers crossed it will be the same for you.

The surgery twisted my stomach around itself so making it a bit tighter and well just smaller. I am unable to burp now and suffer from gas its a bit not so nice.

So again if you can avoid surgery do so. Good luck and hope the meds fix you up.

• Posted

i have been taking meds for my hiatus Hernia and i was diagnosed on the 9th April with Gastric polyps caused by that actual medication needless to say i am now no longer taking the meds .problem now is i am struggeling finding what to eat with a bit of luck i will loose some weight and get my diet right 
    • Posted

What kind of med help ? Plus did the hernia afect your breathing ? 
  • Posted

Oh dear, that sounds really bad. For balance, I had a rolling hiatus hernia diagnosed last summer, (stomach in my chest cavity) and no drugs worked on it so they operated pretty quickly (September). I could start eating solids within about 3 weeks, and 9 months later I've been on a normal diet for about 6 months and feeling fine. I had a few problems in the first few months eating bread, stodgy food, stringy meat etc. and they did a second barium swallow and decided that the wrap was maybe a bit tight, but it settled pretty soon after that so I've not taken that any further.

They did a partial fundoplication on my stomach (didn't wrap it all the way around) and I've been able to burp (maybe a bit much!) and vomit so it does sound as though they've done yours too tight. Although everyone is different and maybe they needed to.

• Posted

Hi Taura Wondered how you are getting on after you op last year.I had a parasophagal hernia repair(same as rolling I think) in June which has now come back and causing me chest and neck pains.Waitng to see surgeon in Feb

• Posted

Hi May, my op was 3+ years ago now and it's completely normal now. In fact I'm currently 9 months pregnant and even the increased pressure on my stomach caused by the lack of space is nothing beyond normal (I'm getting pregnancy-related acid reflux / heartburn but they are completely controlled by Omeprazole now, which they weren't when I had the hernia). Hope your problems can be resolved - I know that one of the risks of the op is that the fix can slip. But sure that if that's the case, the surgeon will have a plan.
    • Posted

Hi Taura  Congratulations! pleased to hear all went well. Im sure my surgeon will sort out something Thanks for quick reply
  • Posted

Hopefully when I see the surgeon on the 30th I will be able to get something sorted.

• Posted

Hi Everyone,

I have been booked for a second op on hernia sadly first stitches broke sad

now going to have open surgery, as medication has not helped

Feeling as i have a lump in my throat, on movement i vomit after eating, need to sit still for ihr

for food to digest then diahorea, new year for op, better to have op now than when older more

chance of fighting any problems.

Keep strong all

• Posted

Hi everyone,

I've recently been diagnosed with with Hiatus Hernia, through an endoscopy. Mine is a 4cm sliding one.

Over the past 3 months the quality of my life has drastically dropped, I am being sick almost every day (whether I eat or not), getting a burning sensation, burping non stop and well as being bloated constantly.

The doctors have tried various medications before my diagnosis, however nothing has helped.

I've read a lot online in regards to the condition, and frankly don't want to be on tablets for the rest of my life. Is there any way possible I can opt for surgery? My GP has not been helpful at all and at times I feel like I am hitting my head against a brick wall.

Can anyone recommend anything?

Thanks in advance

Shaz

• Posted

5 years ago it begun, woke up with the feeling i was be strangled......thats excactly how i exsplained it to my gp.  5 yrs on my symptoms have dramatically worsened Bloating to a point i pass out, breathing very difficult, swallowing very difficult, i was told by a top gastro from singapore my symptoms were none other than IBS and due to my depression it had heightened my anxiety. I had an a procedure where a camera was placed down my throat, which diagnosed a Hiaetal hernia, since then my quality of life has become debilitating,,, i have nw after 2 yrs seen another doctor who is repeating the camera procedure(the medical term has just vanished out my mind) Sorry! And im hoping tht it is going to reveal the severity of my Hiaetal hernia then i will be able to have it operated and regain my Life of been Bubbly Happy ableing me to go back to gym lose the weight i ahve gained by being in so much Pain  which left be debilated, The Swelling was a level of a pregnant woman carrying twins.......... fingers coss.....
    • Posted

have it operated if you suffer as it only worsens and nw is all keyhole surgery
    • Posted

Hi Maria, it is a gastroscopy and I don't blame you for forgetting, it is an awful procedure.
    • Posted

Can I ask some advice ive suffered bad with a hiatus hernia for 3 years two camera all the pills they can think of nothing works as suffer with sinus problems due to im 37 single mum of 3 children nd this had had made r life a hard ....... who decide u have the right to a repair ive done everything the doctors have asked nd uts got me now where I physical cant take any more pain in the uk so nhs not so good
    • Posted

Hi Shaz

I have been having trouble for years and my hiantal hurnia is 8 cm in diameter, I asked my doctor for a referral because of the trouble it is causing with breathing, she gave it to me. She happen to know one of the best doctors that does this kind of surgery, I will see him Jan 6th, the doctors name is Dr Aye at Swedish in Seattle, you definitely wast a doctor that has done many of these. Best to you

Jo

• Posted

Hi. I have exactly the same as you and two months ago I had to go for ph monitoring at hospital they put a tube up the nose down the throat and in the stomach for 24 hrs but my results were bad my swallow wasn't good which meant they wouldn't operate so I had to have it done again but up my medication this time, and as awful as the test is my swallow had improved by 80 per cent so I make a good candidate for surgery now ask your doctor about it, it's not pleasant but glad I went through it x another shaz
    • Posted

I went through this test. The most intense test I ever took. I will never forget this. It had to be done in order to have the surgery. The doctors use this test to define the size of the wrap the procedure requires for the valve repair. I had a successful surgery, but a few complications, due to my age and surgery. Thank God I made it through it all. God Bless you and whoever may be reading this.
    • Posted

I agree it's not pleasant I only had the second test done yesterday I'm waiting for a date for surgery now I'm 42 so hopefully all will be OK x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.