Hiatus hernia surgery

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hello, I am due to have surgery for the above soon (Nissen fundoplication) and am feeling quite scared about it. Could anyone give me some positive outcomes/tips that they have had since having the operation? Thanks.

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hey there, Jill 😃

I have never had that surgery so I apologize for not being able to comfort you from experience. Might I ask, however, under what context your doctor decided to advise the surgery? Do you have a large hiatus hernia? Is your reflux non-responsive to PPI treatment?

For myself, I have a 2cm HH and have been dealing with every possible reflux symptom (except heartburn!) for the last year. I would love to have more insight into the variables that lead to your surgery if you are willing to share them.

Stay strong and you will get through this! Cheers

• Posted

Yes, it is a large HH (6cm) and is a rolling one. Tablets are not really helping.

• Posted

Hi NC10, just wanted to find out how you are doing with the workouts. I went on a stationed bike today and I think I irritated my hh. I am so sad and beating myself up for even trying. I 've burping all day and have paid under my left rib. All the symptoms that I somehow managed are back full force. I m really sad.

• Posted

Hey there 😃

Apologies for the late reply. Well, as it is winter here in the Northeast USA, I am not doing too much outside in the form of playing basketball or football. So I am not doing much running or sprinting. I am focusing mainly on weight-lifting. When I was playing basketball/football, however, I did notice that I would indeed feel some discomfort and pain at the base of my sternum. It could be a dull ache or even sharp pains. It was not constant, by any means, though certainly common enough to take note of it.

It does seem to be the case that running or even biking, such as in your case, can irritate the hernia or even cause reflux. In your case, were you leaning forward very much while biking? Or were you sitting strait up? Leaning forward and compressing your abdomen could certainly irritate the hernia, unfortunately. All of my exercises completely avoid anything that places undue pressure on my abdomen.

Don't beat yourself up too much for trying, though. It is important to find what is possible and how to live as best you can. Keep at it and don't be discouraged!

• Posted

Thanks a lot NC! Was looking forward to your reply. And yes I was leaning forward on the bike hoping i would target my belly fat. But instead I m left with dull pain on and off and constant burping. I have really gone a 1000 steps backwards and I was doing so fine prior to that. I hope I will manage to have it under control again. I am wondering if I should go back on PPIs . I 'll see my go next week and find out. I appreciate your reply and words of encouragement.cheers!

• Posted

Well, the leaning forward and compression on your abdomen may have indeed aggravated the hernia 😦 You can certainly use a stationary bike that allows you to remain upright while pedaling thereby putting zero pressure on your abdomen. I would certainly try again with this method.

And if you are looking for a more intense workout while on the stationary bike, slowly raise both your arms out to your side and back down in a slow, methodical rhythm while pedaling. You can even hold some light weights (1-2lb) for added resistance. Doing this will engage multiple muscle groups and require your heart to pump all the harder. Your heart rate will skyrocket, I assure you!

Cheers 😃

• Posted

I am feeling so relieved to know that I can try different workouts that will not irritate my hernia. I was so close to giving up . I thought to myself, why workout again only to get sick? But I'll go in with a different approach and technique. Thanks again NC and I hope you won't get fed up of my many questions. Lol.

• Posted

Kill, I had surgery 4 months ago. It was the best thing for me. I had a 9 cm hernia which was moving. My stomach and part of my colon were in my esophagus. The surgeon put my organs back, she repaired the hole and inserted a mesh that will absorb in 6 months. I feel great. I lost a lot of weight. I still can't eat some if the foods I love. But I am healthy now. I am female, 69 years old and 150 pounds. I hope my story helps you. Let me know your progress.

• Posted

That's really helpful, thank you for that. How long did it take you to recover after the surgery?

• Edited

Hello. My name is Jannie. I was reading about your surgery and would love to know who did your surgery and which clinic/hospital. I have the same issues that you had. 100 percent of my stomach is in my chest and I'm having trouble finding someone qualified. My hernia is huge and causing me a lot of problems. Also, do you have any problems at this point after your surgery? I'm scared and have question about this procedure. Any info is greatly appreciated and would love to hear about how you are doing and anything about your story. Thanks in advance.

• Posted

can ii ask please what symptoms u had?

i am scared to death right now.

i constantly burp

i have to move my body into positions to release gas from my chest, sharp pains iny stomach center difficulty going to the toilet, feels like my stomach in pulling at my throat all the time... cannot lay on my back i feel my stomach crushing and my throat closing...

scared to death about the c word.... i had a cam 4 years ago said i had 1/2 barrets and a hiatus hernia but recently a berium swollow said he couldnt see it...

i suffer the worst panic attacks

im 36 37 in may male little belly fat social drinker ex smoker .....

• Posted

Wishing you all the best with your upcoming op. I haven't gone down that route and can't give you any tips unfortunately. Please come back and let us know how you doing.

• Posted

Wishing you all the best with your upcoming op. I haven't gone down that route and can't give you any tips unfortunately. Please come back and let us know how you doing.

• Posted

Hi Jill, I had this surgery last February and it was the best thing I ever did. I haven't had Ranitidine or Gaviscon since the night before the operation.

I prepared for the worse with post op eating, however didn't really have any issues. Almost a year later the only thing which can sometimes stick a bit is dry bread! I never drink fizzy drinks but these are best avoided as gas does/can build up!!

Good

• Posted

Hi Jill95220

How are you? Have you had surgery yet?

I have a large paraesophageal (or rolling) hiatus hernia for which I am having surgery next week. My stomach is in my chest area & from time to time my stomach presses on my heart. I also get tremendous debilitating pain sometimes, although I do not get heartburn or acid reflux. As there is a possibility the stomach could twist or strangulate (which is life threatening) I will be having surgery. My stomach will be moved down into the proper position & a wrap will be performed to stop it moving again. I know I will be on a liquid diet for some weeks but not looking forward it although I know the surgery needs doing. Would love to hear from anyone who has had this surgery too.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.