Hiatus Hernia with back and arm pain

Posted , 52 users are following.

Help

Has anyone out there with a Hiatus Hernia experienced what feels like heartburn in your back and left arm. I have been diagnosedwith a Hiatus Hernia and take 30mg of Lansoprazoleonce a day and 10 of Motilium 3 times a day. But it doesn't seem to help the pain I have. I have had pain every single day for the past 2years and swapped between meds i.e omeprazole etc but nothing seems to work. I lot of the symptoms on research only states chest but I get it bad in my upper back around that knot thing in your kneck then it goes down my arm. Just wondered if anyone else has had this. Before I was diagnosed I thought I was dying I had seen every consultant you can imagine from heart,back brain to stomach. The docs seem to think now I know what it is I should feel less anxitey, well I don't as still feel really bad pain every day and meds not working.

3 likes, 99 replies

99 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi there,

You posted over a year ago and I wonder how you are getting on?

I have been unwell since last October with symptoms similar to yours, but with chest pain too. I am taking the same medication but this doesn't work, have seen umpteen doctors and had tests galore.

Eventually diagnosed with small hiatus hernia. The ph manometry test revealed my LES is too tight! so it seems surgery is not an option for me.

Hope you are feeling better by now!

Lynne

• Posted

Oh well here we. Go again Docs telling you it's not related ( when we feel it is)

i now get this pain in my right armpit and your right it's quite scary indeed doc passed it off (as usual) as anxiety well yes after months of this pain I am anxious until I spoke to my accupuncturist who told me this meridian under your armpits is directly linked to the meridian controlling the hiatus hernia, 

I have been seeing my accupuncturist for over a year now and funnily enough in the outset after explaining hernia he asked if I had  armpit pain then I didn't but sure as hell have it now. It made my right boob hurt too (I'm a male bye the way ) so that was scary too.

doc wanted anti inflammatory drugs I refused this pain is persistant but after accupuncture it slowly ebbs away after a couple of days. I also get heartburn and reflux  but stopped taking proton pump inhibitors as the  side effect of dioreah just made everything worse (inc heartburn and nausea) 

the pain is linked so try not to get anxious about it. It's all about reassurance my accupuncturist put one needle in and said is the pain gone and hey presto it was straight away.he said a lot of pain is caused by trapped air pressing on nerves which lead to referred pain elswhere. If I have a bad day I dread it as I feel so awfull I won't leave the house as you feel like your gonna drop dead that's how ghastly I feel I guess we just have to live with it even though it's alarming at the time and scares you try to just believe that it will go given the right reatment whatever that is for you. 

Good luck and best wishes 

• Posted

HI

I know your email was a while ago.  I am going through hell now, my Mum passed away and I was so stressed for months, and had terrible symptoms.  I always had probs with acid, and numerjous endoscopies showed gastritis and reflux, then a Hiatus Hernia. Now I get lot of back pain, radiating from stomach, headaches, cannot sleep and really scared to eat anything lmuch.  It rules your whole life.  I been told to raise lmy bed on bricks to stop reflux at night, and therefore I cannot sleep with my partner and he has a double bed.  he has no patience and does not understand anything so feel very alone.  I am really scared I will die of this, as i know there are complications.  I take Omeprazole which does not help.  I feel pain on the left side abdomen all the time.  Life is miserable and is so hard to work.  The fatigue is enormous but there seems little docs can do.  Surgery to that part of the body is never successful or is it?  I get the same pains as you and in pain most of the day.  I try and exercise but it is very awkward when you feel rough. 

• Posted

Well I'm so sorry you feel this way but I have too on millions of episodes of this dreadfully debilitating mess.

all I can say is listen to people's advice and act on it after years of this I've resorted to every therapy there is accpuncture is my choice although not for every one for me it helps...I went to visit a nutritionist in desperation after getting headaches that lasted days nausea, aching bones etc etc she did a blood test for me showed up dreadful depletion in magnesium she recommended magnesium citrate as magnesium oxide (the cheaper sort ) can cause diorea I was scared to take at first as the last thing I wanted was stomach probs but I was desperate for the migraines to go I took them after 2 days my whole demenor changed I was less stressed reflux just went and I have energy levels way beyond what I was expecting as normal.

i used to get such terrible thoughts like you now I feel more optimistic and positive 

the hernia seems to be behaving as a consequence pains under my ribs arm etc just stopped.you need to see your doc if your taking other medication and mine just poo pooed the notion of taking them and tried to frighten me into saying if you have a healthy diet you won't need them but I ignored her and here I am stopped Zantac and anti de presents before taking them and I feel remarkably well.

the best I've felt in years.

i wish you luck and hope you give it a try you can do it without having blood test but you really do need to tell your doc in case your on medication that can cancel it out or worse make you more ill when using prescription drugs.

read up on the benefits of boosting your magnesium it's quite amazing let's know if you do and if it's helping in any way best wishes you'll be fine through it all I know I've Been there so many times.Boho 

• Posted

Hi Boho

It sounds like you have had your fair share of pain and discomfort. I recently had blood tests but magnesium wasn't me ntioned. My Vit d was low though. I will look up the benefits and ask the doctor. I am on. Omeprazole which I have taken for years.

my partner cannot take it and I think he will leave. He likes to cruise and holiday all the time as he is retired. I am never well enough to go so he goes with other people. It is horrible not having a normal life. 

Im glad you feel a lot better. Take care

• Posted

What is your dosage of magnesium/brand and how long did it take to see results
  • Posted

Dear Geraldine, docs never test for magnesium deficiency so you won't have been informed.

i know what you mean about the holidays I've cancelled so many at the last moment cos I've been scared of falling ill.

but I can assure you you mustn't feel this way.i bit the bullet and flew to spain for 3 weeks the whole time I was there I felt so much better a combination of different surroundings sun and nice food made me feel on top of the world.

my partner has reached breaking point when I say I don't want to go anywhere even on a dog walk but now I think what the hell. Just do it if you feel rough well you feel rough no matter were you happen to be don't fall for the comfort of home it's worse when you feel sick at home as you feel is there nowhere I'm going to be happy it's very disturbing and unsettling bite the bullet and please go on holiday you'll be really surprised. Your letting the disease take over (that's wrong ) think oh well if I have an episode so what!! I would have dealt with it at home you can deal with it whilst your away have faith just go for it you'll be surprised at your partners reaction too.

just think I'm doing this for us both be determined not to let it rule your life.

not easy I know as I'm sure you'll understand but give yourself a break and just go for it bugger the consequences good luck 

• Posted

Nice to hear other people have these symptoms ( not meant in a bad way ).

I get very uncomfortable pains in my shoulders and chest, have seen heart doctors thats all fine there.

Pains do feel like your having a heart attack, coupled with pains in the shoulders.

Had a camera down for the second time, i have a HH and was told just keep taking my omperazole 20mg twice a aday.

This does not seem to to keep the discomfort at bay.

Im at my wits end with feeling like rubbish all the time.

Back to the GP's me thinks.

• Posted

I read the posts and am going through the same symptoms as others, pain in the armpit area, pain the side of breast and typically always on the left side,  like around the rib cage, acid reflux is so bad and heartburn, sometimes if I can release gas it seems like it helps a little. I was also told that I have a hh and doc says that's the reason for all the discomfort. It makes me feel so awful at times I can hardly stand it. Sometimes the pain is so sharp, that it takes the I feel like I am going to pass out. Been on meds for a long time Omperazol 20 mg twice a day. i don't feel they help much and wonder if after taking for so long that they just don't work anymore.

It is very hard to eat or drink anything and I am always complaining. Not a very good thing to be in this much pain all the time.

I am going to see my gp and get him to do something else for me. I have many tests done and always comes back fine.

Oh dear, happy to have found ppl that can relate to this, although I wish we didn't have to suffer with this pain.

• Posted

Hi Shiela yes I have had this pain and it is horrible, but since been on the same meds as you once daily these have gone, but I dare not eat cheese or create or rich foods.

the leg cramps can be side effect of the omoprezole, so if you read the leaflet in the drugs it will tell you.

i would suggest trying to keep diet light and non acidic and back to GP,s if no change in condition, I hope you get some relief.

• Posted

I don't call what I have as being leg cramps...I just get such a stab of pain sometimes it makes me feel light  headed...like takes the wind out out of my sails...I have been to my gp many times over the years, tried many different meds, he just says i have to learn to put up with it....well when you can eat or drink pretty much anything without getting reflux or heartburn, that's not easy to deal with....I have many sleepless nights because of this....I pretty much sleeping up propped on 4 pillows....I do not eat or cooked fried foods of anything kind because I can't...even lettuce backs up on me....I have had lots of tests done...I do have hiatal hernia and truly think that is the main culprit with all this pain....hope you get some relief also.

Sheila

• Posted

I have had the same symptoms as you until about 1 month ago. I also have a Hiatal Hernia and Gerd but the Gastrologist that did the scope said he wasn't worried about the hernia. I have been on every OTC and prescription medicine you can think of to try to get rid of the indegestion/heartburn and pain. It didn't seem to matter what I ate or drank I would just always have it and no medicine would work. I have lost 20 Lbs, changed the way I ate, raised my bed, everything they suggested that you do. I started doing a lot of research and found that Turmeric and Ginger can help. AND IT REALLY DOES!!! I ordered it online on Amazon and finally have relief. It took about a week for me to get some relief, but I stuck with it and have been taking them for about a month now and feel ALOT better. I still watch what I eat and drink, but it really has made a big difference and makes me feel like I can enjoy life again. I hope this helps those that suffer the way that I did. Good Luck!
    • Posted

Hi gedmc, how is your hiatal hernia now? Are you still have chest pain..
  • Posted

This blog is so long, it started as leg cramps! Is there an association between Haitus Hernia's and leg cramps, asI have both PLUS the pain down my left arm. I've been on omeprazole 20mg and even 30mg on bad days since 2009! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.