HIDA scan

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi, I had the scan on Friday. They injected dye then took pictures for an hour. Then i was sent away to eat a cheese sandwich, 20 minutes later they scanned me for 5 minutes and said they had enough. Does this sound right?

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

They said the had enough for what? Do you have stones. Do you have any pain?
  • Posted

When I got the scan they injected the cck stuff then scanned for a good while. Then had to drink this milkshake type drink whilst lying down under the scanner. Was in the scanner for about 2.5 hours. Think different places do different things. Some make you eat something and others make you drink something. Can’t remember how long I was in after drinking the milkshake stuff though. When is your follow up appointment to discuss the results? xx
  • Posted

I assume you had your gallbladder out? Mine is gone but symptoms are not.  Is hida scan next thing to,check or is it before removal.  Dont know why i still feel sick and pain in back, any help accepted

• Posted

It may well be worth researching ursodioxycholic acid which will dissolve some  types of stones and in particular cholesterol type ones. This is on the proviso they are not bigger than 20mm.

I still have my gall bladder which started giving me horrendous symptoms 4 years ago so I must have been about 73 years old then.  Before rushing into a removal of a gall bladder I cannot imagine why the chemical treatment is not more widely accepted here in the UK but is to the fore in the USA. Are USA doctors more educated /experienced than those here ?

As said before in posts previous a registrar said she had never heard of Ursodioxcholic acid to dissolve gallbladder stones but her superior surgeon  most certainly knew of that method of getting rid of gall stones & I have that in writing. Three Chemists one of which looked at me as if I was daft said = of course ursodioxycholic acid tabs will dissolve gall stones but a liver function test must be done before and during

the treatment.............  I'm free - of symptoms that is.....

Incidentally the urso treatment is not for everyone apparently because 'my' thinking surgeon said it's a horrible way of getting rid of the stones. I wrote back telling him that my experience of that treatment for the record was a good one & that I did not experience one bit of discomfort in the year I took that course.

All I know is that when I had the all night sickness with bowel problems as well I knew that no one could suffer like that two nights consecutively. You want to die to stop the suffering. Horrible.

My stones were seen on a good quality ultrasound and shown to me. There were five stones & floatable with the biggest 17 mm. Now I think there are two small ones 10mm and will not hesitate to start a new years course of Ursodioxycholic acid to 'finish them off' that is as soon I I know for sure my other health problems are resolved. 

• Posted

So you can take that medication in the UK? I wanted it and the GI in London told me that they don't use it anymore! I want it because I don't really want surgery as I have a weight issue.

• Posted

I am very surprised that the expertise regarding the fact that the Urso worked for me and that one of the very best G enterologists in the Midlans knows that it does work had such an uphill struggle getting my GP's to give me a script for it........ Thousands of doctors do not like patients knowing the ins and outs of their own bodies in fact it seems very detrimental to go to any surgery and ask to try a certain drug. My GP's flatly refused Urso on the grounds that it is not proven to work and that is a blatant lie because certain gastroenterologists know full well that it does work. I have not had any adverse symptoms in three years as of now since the years treatment so if it does not work how does one explain my eradicated symptoms especially the feeling of wishing for death to come very soon?

I did not suffer any side effects whatsoever but I see that some patients do suffer side effects.

The facts of the matter is in my case that I had 5 stones that I could see on the ultrasound and the very nice young expert lady said the biggest seen was approx 17mm and the others were smaller ones. She also added they were mobile in the fluid in my gall bladder. She also noted & said you have quite a big gall bladder.

I feel due to the severity of my symptoms at that time my gall bladder was swollen and infected which I got zero help for in any way. The problems that were undiagnosed went on for more than a year.

It is seen that Urso is given to patients who have liver deterioration(scarring) so if that is the case it seems obvious that in many patients it does not 'hurt the liver' but liver function tests are advised before treatment and during.

• Posted

Thank you so much for your reply. I asked the GI 4 years ago and he was quite young and he had never heard of it; He then asked his boss who replied that they don't use it as it only work half the times and that 50 per cent of stones come back at a later stage. But I am seeing a GI in 6 weeks again and I cill certainly ask again. Glad to hear you are doing well. 

• Posted

When  ursodioxycholic acid tabs dissolve gall stones it is in the research that a preventative/prophilactic dose can be given. As regards stones can come back well that is true because I am very familiar with murphy's law as a diver = what can happen will happen!

Those who do not know a deal about the Urso should not cast astertions about that method because I have had no urso since 3 years ago and no symptoms either and if I had I would be truthful and say what the score is. I have also found that although they should not some doctors tell blatant lies on any subject they are not familiar with. 

• Posted

mm, for me they injected what they called a tracer, made me lay down under the machine that shows inside, ct scan, whatever it is, i lay down for what seemed like forever until the tracer got to where it needed to be for it to light up the right place, then they injected this stuff that basically made my stomach think i just are a greasy, fatty meal. it had to be injected over 5 minutes. it hurt me! they asked if this is the type of feeling i usually get and i said yes it was only stronger cause i didnt eat fatty greasy foods cause i knew it would hurt. anyways, after they injected it, and it was done i was dizzy from not eating that morning. i got some juice and when i was better i could go. they didnt tell me the results, i had to get that from my dr but ihad gotten a call from my dr that afternoon saying i had to have it removed. i never got to eat anyhting though during the procedure. but then again could be different in different places.
    • Posted

Are you fit enough to taks ursodioxycholic acid tabs and are the stones small enough and does your doctor know of that process to dissolve gall stones if he/she knows what type they are?
  • Posted

Well usually I think that when they ask you to eat something it's because you have stones or they believe you do and so they won't stimulate your gallbladder chemically! I am no doctor though so don't take my word for it! I had one done like that but they kept me an hour extra after I had food. But surely they know what they are doing and they must have seen what they wanted. Good luck and keep us posted:

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.