Hida scan England.

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi, I'm a 38yr old female with suspected gallbladder symptoms for nearly four years. I've had several different tests done including an annual ultrasound which always come back normal apart from a 6mm gallbladder polyp which I'm told couldn't possibly be causing me constant URQ pain/ right shoulder blade pain made worse after eating. Can anyone please tell me If Hida scans are available in England either NHS or privately. Thank You : )

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi Katie, yes hida scans are available on the nhs and done through the nuclear medicine department. As you haven't got gallstones then your gallbladder may not be working properly. Mine was working at 14% and caused so many problems like being in pain after eating. I lost over a stone in weight when I'm not very big in the first place. I had my gallbladder removed 6 months ago and I can now eat basically what I want but I'm still careful with fat content. My gallbladder the entrance was dilated which wasn't seen on any of the other tests that I had.

If you haven't been referred to a gastro then you need to see your gp and get that done, they will probably do other tests to make sure that you haven't got gallstones, like a CT, MRCP and a gastroscopy to check for other issues too before they do a HIDA scan. If you haven't already had any of this done already.

All the tests that I had came back as normal which is classic for a gallbladder that isn't working and its only the hida scan that can see the function of the gallbladder.

I don't know about HIDA scans privately, it probably depends where you live, as I know they aren't available in my county.

Let me know how you get on. Take care xx

• Posted

Thank you for your reply. I will be seeing my gp next week so I'm definitely going to ask about a Hida scan. I see a gastroenterologist every year as he is the one that is monitoring my polyp. I had a CT about 3 years ago along with an endoscopy and various blood tests. I've been seen at the pain management clinic where I was given abdominal trigger point injections to see if the pain was coming from my muscles. These injections made no difference to my pain. I've just had a pylori breath test because of my acid and indigestion symptoms and I will probably be sent for another endoscopy if that result comes back clear. I'm just so tired of the daily pain. It's had such a negative impact on my life.

It's nice to read about your positive experience of finally getting a diagnosis and the correct treatment which as gone well.

• Posted

Hi Katie, I'm surprised that your gastro hasn't already done a HIDA scan as when everything else come back as normal its the last one to do.

I'm with the pain management clinic also as I've been left with abdominal nerve entrapment, I've had the first lot of nerve block but I'm going to have to have another lot.

I can sympathise with daily pain especially when you've been like this for so long, I can't remember what life is like without pain.

Certainly push for a hida scan its the last thing to test for and none of the other tests can check the function of the gallbladder.

Let me know what you gp says. take care x

• Posted

Hello Katherine, just to update you on my situation. I have been put on a waiting list for gallbladder removal due to a polyp which has increased in size since my last ultrasound a year ago. Consultant still isn't convinced that it is the cause of my pain but will hopefully know more once they can actually see inside. I'm absolutely terrified and I'm trying not to focus on the negative stories about gallbladder removal. I hope you are continuing to do well following the removal of yours. ?

• Posted

Could i ask what other tests you had other than ultrasounds? 

Thanks

• Posted

Hi Katie, do you know when that will be, have they given you any indications? I know they like to remove polyps in the body rather than leaving them. A diseased gallbladder doesn't show up on any tests either so you don't know what condition it'll be in until they look at it.

Yes they said that to me but they can't rule out where the pain is coming from if they don't remove the gallbladder. My gallbladder was causing alot of problems as I can now eat what I want but I do have to be careful if I eat too much as I end up in alot of pain.

Don't be terrified there are so many people out there that have had their gallbladder removed and are perfectly fine. Its only the few of us that need the support of this site. In my year on this site I've spoken to alot of people before their gallbladder removal but now they've gone so I can only presume that they don't need the site anymore because everything is ok.

The operation itself was much easier than I thought it would be.

I've got my next appointment at the pain clinic in December so I'm hoping they'll give me more injections of nerve block.

Let me know when you have a date but don't forget to go back to your doctor if your pain gets worse at all.

Take care x

• Posted

Hi Matt, over the 4 yrs this had been going on I've had 4 ultrasounds, endoscopy, ct scan, breath test for hpylori, chest x-ray and several blood tests. Everything comes back normal apart from the polyp in my gallbladder. It is the growth of my polyp that is prompting the removal of my gallbladder.

• Posted

Hi Katherine, I've been told the waiting time is 8-10wks. I will be very interested to know what condition my gallbladder is in when they can finally get to look at it properly.

Good luck with your appointment at the pain clinic. I hope they're able to help you get some relief. Living with pain really is soul destroying.

Take care.

• Posted

I'm in Scotland and got the HIDA scan done about 10 days after referral from consultant for one. Was just done in July. Had already had ultrasound and MRI but apart from having a distended gallbladder they said scan was fine. All the symptoms were of gallbladder being the issue. Mines was working at 32% with cutoff for normal being above 35%, so not as bad as some, however was having major issues with pain and nausea and admitted to hospital twice for a week. So they decided to take it out as emergency 2 weeks ago. Hopefully you get scan sorted soon! xx

• Posted

Thanks for your reply. Sounds like they are on the ball in Scotland dealing with gallbladder issues. Hopefully I can get one of these scans done soon. It's nice to read about your positive experience. I've read so many horror stories about gallbladders which only fuels the worry and anxiety.

I wish you well in your recovery.

• Posted

My GP was on the ball when I told her symptoms anyway and was sent for ultrasound which showed small stones. She referred me to surgeon to get gallbladder out as was causing issues. Before I'd had appt I ended up in with suspected cholecystitis but they couldn't see gallstones on that scan. So had MRI and then consultant sent HIDA scan referral to see if it was a gallbladder issue.

Once the results came back and I'd seen surgeon he agreed to take gallbladder out. Ended up readmitted 2 days later with cholecystitis again and got it out the following week whilst still an inpatient. Most people don't actually get surgery very quickly unless they're getting infections etc. But hopefully if it does come back as a gallbladder issue you don't have to wait too long. Prob a good thing you already see gastroenterologist who knows your history. Maybe get treated quicker xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.