HIDA scan questions

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi all, I went to a private gastro today and she wants a HIDA scan to check my gallbladder and how its functioning due to all the issues and symptoms I have, so she can sort out how quickly I need sorting out. I already know its full of stones confirmed by ultrasound. My issue is the radiation. I have other medical issues and have had PET/CT, CTS ( multiple) and x rays and am terrified about the radiation risks. 

Also I have read that you cannot go near your kids, is this true?

I booked in for the scan but now wish I knew about all this when I was at the appointment and could of asked and gone over my concerns, but was expecting to go for this scan and knew little about it.

Not sure if this is needed and if to cancel and ring her?

Thanks

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I hope you can get this sorted out soon.thenradiation levels are very safe and very low. Not to worry discuss your concerned with your doctor.
  • Posted

The radiation is very low! There really is not a concern. You can be in contact with people and it passes out of your system in hours. I'm just wondering why a HIDA scan is being done to begin with? A HIDA scan is used to show how much your gallbladder is contracting. This is usually done for people like myself who had no stones to prove my gallbladder was failing. I would ask your doctor why this is needed and what it changes. You will most likely need surgery and HIDA doesn't change that if you already know the problem.

• Posted

no idea? the only thing I can think of is if its a bad result she can rush me through quicker? Radiation is a cumalitve effect and whilst this might be low, I have had LOTS so it all adds up, thats my main concern..
    • Posted

my rib really hurts tonight, I half wish it would just cause real pain instead of this dull ache so i could just go into emergency!
  • Posted

Hi Star, there's no need to worry about the HIDA scan, its perfectly safe. Some of us probably live in an area where they probably receive more radiation that they would during the scan, that how they described it to me because of the geology of where I live.

The substance they inject into you will disperse and come out of your body naturally. There are different types of hIDA scan with mine  they injected me with the radioactive tracer then when I was in the machine after 10 minutes of scaning the body as a control they then gave me a fatty drink to stimulate the gallbladder into contracting and then after a short while you start to get pain if your gallbladder isn't working. 

Does your friend who's a nurse not be able to put your mind at rest with your questions or you could phone your gastro's secretary and see if they can put you in the right direction.

Your gastro is probably doing this to see how your gallbladder is working as well and to give them a better idea of whats going on, so I wouldn't cancel if I were you. They need to get a good picture of whats happening with your body and why.

Unfortunately I only ever had the ache which did get worse but never enough to head to a&e so I know how you feel.

When are they sending you for your scan, and keep us informed with how you get on.

take care xx

• Posted

the scan is booked for Thursday, they have said fatty breakfast before 8 and then fast until the scan at 1pm. 

I am wondering if this is her way to get me in quicker as if it isnt functioning its more of an emergency?

Not sure, going to ring and discuss it with her and not cancel yet.

• Posted

Mine was first thing in the morning and I had to fast from the night before but I suppose they all do things differently.

Yes if your gallbladder isn't working correctly then it will gradually get worse regardless of gallstones so it is important to get this done.

Let me know what she says when you call x

• Posted

Hi, Star,

I can understand about your reluctance to do another procedure.  But I think that the doctor is being careful and covering everything.

Perhaps this is one test that you will need in order to be fast tracked.  Since you already have been diagnosed with gallstones, I think that this may be the last test that would need to be done....

Please let us know what you decide and how you get on! xxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.