HIDA scan shows EF of 49%

Posted , 5 users are following.

I am a 20 year old female who had a HIDA scan this afternoon and am confused about my results. The doctor performing the scan told me that an ejection fraction of 49% is abnormal in a 20 year old, that it should be about 80%-90%. He then asked if I felt any discomfort during the test and I said yes. He told me these were both abnormal, but still state the test was normal. Any idea why?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

From what I've been told and have researched, 49% is fine. 35-75% is the normal range. Mine was 98% and they took mine out because of that, so how can 80-90% be good? Having discomfort during the test IS an indicator, however. I'm assuming you've had an ultrasound? I have heard of people who's tests came back normal and they still took the gallbladder out and the people were better. I'm not sure all tests indicate something.

• Posted

Hi Kathy, 

He may be hedging because of your age.  Some doctors tend not to want to do much tampering with people under 40.  I suggest you ask him the question that you asked in your post!  He needs to give you the reasons why...and if he won't and doesn't arrange for other tests, such as an ultrasound, get a referral to a gastroenterologist.  

Your doctor should collaborate with you to get you to health, not hide behind his white coat and talk in riddles.  

Best of luck to you, and let me know how you get on!

• Posted

I've had both a CT and an ultrasound, both showed no stones and the gallbladder at normal size. I also had an endoscopy which showed a decent amount of inflammation (which seems to have been relieved with the medication he prescribed), but nothing from the gallbladder. I already see a gastroenteroloigst and I have an appoinment a week from today to discuss the results and make a plan from there.

• Posted

In your first post you didn't mention the other tests, so I believed that none had been performed besides the HIDA.  

I'm glad that you're going to work out a treatment plan with your doctor.  There are other patients on this site whose gallbladder stones and or polyps weren't shown by either a CT scan or an ultrasound.

It's good that you've received medication and that it's working.

Please let me know how you get on!   

• Posted

Hi Kathy, I find it most confusing that your doctor said that your ejection fraction is abnornmal, in all the research that I've done no where does it say that it should be higher dependant on age but that it should be between 35 - 75% and outside of that is abnormal. You haven't said if you've had any other tests previously or what your symptoms are but as Lynda has said get a referral to a gastroenterologist and they'll be able to read you results far better. As we all see from this site there has been people on here that have had normal results on all test but once they've been operated on there has been a problem with the gallbladder but you need to have other tests as well to rule out other diagnosis as they are all very similar. Good luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.