Hidden cause of Stomach Pain - Magnesium Deficiency

Posted , 6 users are following.

So I have been reading about how magnesium deficiency cause havoc on your body. Some of the research says it causes stomach cramps as well and often is gone unnoticeable because a) either the blood report shows normal magnesium levels (which is normal most of the times even when you are deficient) b) doctors are not really concerned about it.

I have read people getting cured by using magnesium, I dont know whether my severity of upper stomach pain is related to magnesium deficiency but does anyone here have any knowledge about this topic?  

1 like, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Reason for not absorbing enough magnesium is much more complicated then overlooking blood results.

It may be responsible for "some" symptoms but i believe its just showing underlying issue....much bigger issue.. anyway...if you do not absorb magnesium.......increasing oral intake would not do much..but stress the organ to higher levels.

So you need to look why is that...

• Posted

Although I have a situation where a magnesium deficiency is a possibility but my pain is so severe that I am not sure whether magnesium will even cure it or not, I will start consuming magnesium to see the effects. I was not eating well because I was out of my country and on top of that doc prescribed me strong antibiotics which caused this immense pain which has not left in 7 months, its disabling. I was a healthy person but both malnutrition and antibiotics cause magnesium deficiency. Antibiotics are known to cause magnesium deficiency especially if taken in high doses, so there is a possibility. Plus my stomach pain has involved upper abdominal and back muscles as well so physical activity aggravates my pain but anyways I hope its as simple as that and can be fixed with vitamins and minerals. 
  • Posted

Ask your doctor to test you for low magnesium and then you will know if you are actually magnesium deficient.
    • Posted

I did a magnesium blood levels test (my local lab only has that). But even doctors accept that blood levels are not accurate way of diagnosing magnesium deficiency because body works hard to keep magnesium levels normal and body parts have to compromise when there is a deficieny. I think blood levels are abnormal when there is hypo or hyper magnesium condition or when body cant simply absorb magnesium (this is my theory so dont take it as a scientific fact)
  • Posted

I've had upper stomach pain for such a long time and they diagnose it is chronic gastritis I am now doing the kombucha and I'm going to make my own because now I don't feel constipated anymore this kombucha really works and you can get it at Kroger's usually in the aisle with the yogurts there in bottles and they really work but don't start out heavy drink one third of a cup each evening and build up to it these are really really good probiotics for the stomach and constipation so look for them in the glass bottles do not shake them keep them refrigerated and drink a little bit each day until your body gets used to them I am going to make my own I cannot believe that this is taken care of my constipation and I've only done it for two days one third of a cup it's a fizzy drink

• Posted

I wanted to say that anything that is fermented is very good for the stomach sauerkraut pickles pickle juice they are all healthy probiotics so the more of these that you can eat the better off you're going to be be but try to get kombucha you can Google it it is awesome for the stomach but only one third cup at a time

• Posted

Yup I did take probiotics and will take them again. My pain is aggravated by movement as well. Although it started out with a harsh course of antibiotics but it has turned into a nightmare, the type of pain I am getting is usually when there is severe inflammation but endoscopy did not catch anything. Even walking, deep breathing, sleeping in certain positions give me severe cramps like pain in upper stomach.
    • Posted

I still think that its gallbladder.... stones are being followed by pain you are describing and they will sometimes not show up on ultrasound...nor endoscopy would pick up on them....

How is your stool..i mean colour? Dark brown? Light brown? Yellow?

• Posted

Its in upper left stomach. MRCP and Ultrasound were clear of any gallbladder issue.
  • Posted

Strong antibiotics deplete your body of probiotics some probiotics do not even work you need to get the ones that will work like the kombucha that does work just drink a third of a cup at a time everyday the next week you can go up a little higher anytime you're on antibiotics you need to have probiotics because they put the good bacteria back into your system that the antibiotics have destroyed I have gallstones have had them since 1997 I have not had any attacks but I have chronic gastritis and you're describing the same kind of pain that I had in my upper stomach and since it went on so long they call it chronic

• Posted

Try and go to Kroger's or somewhere and get some of the liquid kombucha and stay away from greasy foods for a while or fried foods and drink the kombucha everyday and see if that doesn't help because the pain you're describing in the upper stomach I have it and since it's went on so long they call it chronic I take Prevacid 30 mg in the morning and 30 mg at night your stomach is probably tore up from those antibiotics and you don't have any good bacteria in there since I've been drinking the kombucha my stomach is not hurting anymore but I do it Faithfully

• Posted

I understand the crampy part of pain caused by low gut bacteria but what about the physical aspect of the pain which causes immense pain when I walk or even deep breathe, it feels as if whole stomach sac is in physical muscular pain, swollen and sore. Though this pain I am describing is not on outer abdominal wall but either in inner walls or stomach itself. The point where I believe the pain emerges from is the upper left or middle left part exactly under ribcage. I also feel pain so much sometimes that it fells like there is so much pressure cramp and pain pushing everything against diaphragm.
    • Posted

Well all I can say is if you have had an upper GI done which it sounds like you have then maybe you might need to get a MRI have you already had ultrasounds done I assume you have I know pain is terrible especially when you can't find out where it's coming from I know mine is in the upper part of my stomach and it goes from the right side to the left of the upper part of my stomach under my breasts and it just stays sore constantly I cannot find relief but since I've been drinking the kombucha it's been a lot better I hope you get to the bottom of it and keep after them until they find out what it is

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.