Hidden lactose in medical formulations=GI distress

Posted , 6 users are following.

I tested positive for lactose intolerance. Right now I am taking an antibiotic for my recent shin gash. As soon as I took the first dose I got the exact symptoms of lactose intolerance : bloat, wind and cramps. It's common to get cramps and runs after being on antibiotics for several days but not with the first pill. I did an experiment-I started taking 2 lactase pills with each dose and I am much better. Lactose is a common "FILLER" in pharmaceuticals and supplements so be suspicious.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Sure enough-I just went online and checked the formulation of the clindamycin I am taking. Its "inactive ingredients" include lactose and magnesium.

• Posted

Something you should flag up with any pharmacy that you go to for your prescriptions, The pharmacist should be able to find alternatives for most. Doctors are apparently less concerned - "It's only a little bit..." was said to a patient with severe intolerance.

I suppose it depends what you call "inactive" ingredients!!!!

• Posted

I just contacted my pharmacy and she was very receptive. She put the info into their system.

• Posted

It is so hard to know which foods have lactose and sometime we eat things we had no idea. I cannot tolerate any antibiotics so now I know the possible reason. I'm lactose intolerant and it is a difficult situation to deal with. You think you can cheat once in a while and enjoy a nice desert, but you always pay for it.

• Posted

Why on earth would any company add a filler which so many people cannot tolerate?

• Posted

Because that is what they have always done...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.