Hidradenitis and Refused Surgery

Posted , 3 users are following.

I just wanted some peoples opinions on if this has happened to them or if its worth getting a second opinion.

I've had HS for 17 years now, for the last 10 years my dermatologist has been pushing me for the wide excision surgery and I've refused, I was only 17 when they started pushing it on me. Maybe it was vanity, or I was just scared, but I was not ready at 17 to have surgery which would leave a large amount of scarring.

My HS is now obviously worse (I'm now 27) and I have gone back to the dermatologist to agree to the surgery. I have now been told that surgery would be impossible as the area is too wide spread. When I asked if they could just cut out the worst parts and leave the not so bad outter areas I was told no it wasn't possible.

It seems a bit odd to me that they've been pushing surgery on me for a decade and when I finally agree they say they can no longer do it?

Has anyone else had this experience? Would you guys seek a second opinion?

1 like, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Hello

if i have found anything with this condition over the past 20 year its that you have to

fight for what you need due to funding

and don't be knocked back

and research everything about it

go back and fight for what you need. or ask question

good luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.