Hidradenitis (HS) and zinc

Posted , 22 users are following.

I just wanted to post and let anyone know that over the counter Zinc gluconate could possibly cure you. I waited a full year before posting this. I had my husband randomly switch my zinc for something else twice in a mock “blind” trial because I was so so worried it was probably just placebo effect. I slipped out of remission when the zinc was removed so I’m convinced. I first stumbled across it in an NIH study and I’ve posted the link. 

I’ve done multiple topical and oral biotics. I’ve had drained abscesses, surgery, biopsies and biopsy. Turns out I’m alleric to nightshade (found out through a blog post) and could be cured by high doses of zinc (through an Internet article). I feel so let down after 7 years of medical treatment and I was still in severe pain with constant flairs that cost me so much, I hope someone else can be helped from this. I’m completely symptom free unless I accidentally have nightshade (paprika is in virtually all packaged food) but even then I might have a small painless lump not a full blown boil or open sore that debilitates me 

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/17460404/

3 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I have read about a few people being cured, what was your daily dosage??? So happy for you!!! 
    • Posted

I worked my way up to 400 mcg but I was experiencing a particularly bad flare under both my arms. I stayed at that dose for week until I was completely clear, then stayed another week, then I took away one 50mg pill until I flared again (4) and went back up until I was in stable remission. That’s down to 300 mg  (6 50mg pills for me, two at each meal) 

It’s probably  different for different people big zinc is relatively safe to adjust the dosages you can always  have your blood work checked if you’re worried. 

• Posted

I’m sorry I worked my way up to 400 mg (8 50mg pills which is A LOT but I took the pills spaced out through the day) 

Worked down to 300 eventually 

I’m down to 100mg a day (two 50 mg pills) still in remission. But I’ve also lost a ton of weight since I started and stopped eating food I was allergic to. 

• Posted

Thanks for Sharing Marisa, I have intolerance to nightshades which I cut out leaving only occasionally warning bumps... Like you. But I'll top up with the zinc and see if it can help for those times I slip up, as you say it's hidden in anything and as strict as I am I occasionally get caught out.

• Posted

I am glad the zinc is working for you but for what it's worth:

The most absorbable form of zinc by far is zinc orotate.

Zinc will deplete your stores of copper. Don't take copper supplementation directly. You can get all the copper you need to "counter-act" the zinc by taking some liquid chlorophyll. The chlorophyll has other health-enhancing properties, so that's a plus.

Also , iron plays an important roll involving zinc supplementation.

Get the iron thru diet if you can. Beef, chicken,turkey, liver, pork, all contain the better absorbed heme iron. Have your blood checked occasionally for these minerals. It's an inexpensive test. If you feel you need iron supplementation, only use the non-constipation form: iron bisglycinate.

• Posted

I take the zinc gluconate on the suggestion of my compounding pharmacy. I’ll have to go through my email to find why he suggested this, perhaps it’s what was used in the study? I haven’t read it in its entirety since I first started about a year and a half ago so I’m not sure, which is why I posted it. If another form of zinc works better as you’ve indicated hopefully it’s probably worth it for people still suffering, I’m completely clear though so I’m not looking to fiddle 

I’m perfectly aware of the counter indications, and again they are listed in the study. 

I eat a Keto diet so iron is a non worry  and my blood work has been consistently good. I take chlorophyll in pill form (just a side note for anyone reading the chlorophyll eliminates virtually all body order. It’s strange but you just smell different / better even it wasn’t a problem you had, nice side effect). 

Considering how debilitating and horrific the side effects are for the medications I’ve been on off and on for the better part of a decade the minor stomach upset I’ve had from zinc is a no brainer. 

• Posted

The link you posted just goes to an abstract. How did you obtain the complete study? Thanxs!
    • Posted

I paid for the study there should be links to the full article where you can then pay for the complete study. It’s around $40 but this was years ago perhaps it’s been posted online elsewhere by now.  
  • Posted

Hi all,

I was wondering what stages you guys are at for this to work? Are any of you stage 3 of Hurley, or?? Just wondering if this therapy is effective for later stages....

• Posted

Hi Marisa, All,

I have been taking Zinc Gluconate 30Mg / day for 2 months now, I have not had any flare ups so far.

I also had laser hair removal and surgeries in my groin area.

• Posted

hi Sylvia did the laser hair removal help? also was it painful? I'm thinking of trying it!

• Posted

I am definitely going to try zinc, i have suffered with HS for 30 years. under control but now at 41 years of age i am getting frequent flare ups before my cycle. I am so exhausted with this skin condition, depression, and i can't even have a relationship because i am so embarrassed.

• Edited

Thanks for your post!

I’m a 51yo man. I’ve had HS since I was 11yo and I’ve tried everything from antibiotics of numerous flavors to elimination and paleo diets. I completely agree with your post!

Nothing worked until I found zinc. That’s right cheap over the counter zinc. I started with 100mg/day and, while I experienced dramatic a positive effect my healing stalled. I upped the zinc to 400mg/day for about 2weeks now and the sinus tracts have healed, my lesions are closing fast and are, in fact, healing.

I’m going to stay with the 400mg/day until I’m in complete remission and then I’ll begin to lower the zinc dose and figure out where that maintenance dose needs to be. I hope this helps.

• Edited

Kenneth,

About a month ago a I came across this forum, and I saw your posting. Since the age of 12, I have had HS. Now, I am 46 years old. Several months ago, I had developed sinus tracts around my groin area. I went to the doctor, he wanted to operate, but I told him no to surgery, then he put me on a combination antibiotic for a month that did not do a thing for my persistent draining sinus tracts. I had always taken about 50 mg of zinc, every so often but not consistently. But after reading that you were taking up to 400 mg of zinc daily that assisted you on healing your sinus tracts, I decided to do the same. So, I increased my daily zinc dosage to 100 mg, 3 to 4 times a day. After about 3 weeks, my sinus tracts around my groin areas has stopped draining and healed up. It's still there, and I will continue to take the zinc for another few weeks to make sure the sinus tract is in remission, then I will reduce the zinc dosage....Thank you so much for posting your experience!...It have been extremely helpful.

• Posted

Hi, Bernie,

Thanks so much for your post. I have to tell you that ultimately the zinc failed me but my optometrist turned me on to something that is simply amazing. Get Numacula. It was suggested to me for early onset of macular degeneration and I started taking it. Within a week my skin was clearing up like I've never experienced. I was so astounded that I phoned my optometrist to explain what I was experiencing. He wasn't surprised by my healing but with the rapidness of my healing. The stuff is THE silver bullet. Period. I take 6 pills in the AM and, while I'm not healed completely, the disease is negligable. My sinus tracts are gone. The pain is gone. The draining is gone. Give that a go but it must be Numacula. There is no substitute. I've tried. Please let me know if this works for you.

Best,

Ken

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.