Hidradenitis Suppurativa associated with arthritis?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi, my name is Christina. I have had this skin condition for over 20 years. Like others afflicted, it affects me everyday of my life. I have also suffered a lot of joint pain since my early 20's and it is getting much worse. Lower back pain with a lot of popping. My hips feel very stiff after being at rest for a short amount of time. I also have lots of pain in my elbows. I read online that the two can be linked?? Anyone else with this problem? I also read that hidradenitis suppurativa is also common or linked with Chron's Disease and IBS. I don't have those, but do have Diverticulosis throughout my entire large intestine..... Thanks and God Bless!

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi I do know that HS is an autoimmune disease but have never heard of it being linked to any other illness like this.   I specifically looked for this online and eventually asked a nurse friend of mine who said they are not linked.

Your best bet is to go to your doctors and ask them.  It sounds like something is going on and you do need expert help.  x

• Posted

Yes, I was telling my doctor about these pains, but feel as if it goes through one ear, and out the other. Doctors here in the U.S. have too many patients and care received is less than to be desired at any rate. She had my knees X rayed and an MRI concentrating on one specific knee. I don't understand if we go through the expense and trouble why my back and hips weren't looked at as well. I get so frustrated with it all. Thanks for asking your nurse friend. x
  • Posted

HS is an autoimmune disease, and typically once you develop one autoimmune disease you're at a much higher risk of developing other autoimmune disorders. I have IBS, Hashimotos and HS and I'm sure I'll develop another one sometime in the next 20 years. Yay.

Osteoarthritis is typically associated with normal wear and tear on your joints. It's just something that happens with age. Rheumatoid arthritis on the other hand is an autoimmune disorder because in that case your immune system is actually attacking your joints.

So I'd make an appointment with an orthopaedic doctor to check and really make sure it's actually osteoarthritis and not RA. Because if its, you need to get ahead of it, now. It could also be Fibromyalgia which is another autoimmune disorder, if nothing pops up on xrays or MRIs then this could be a likely culprit.

• Posted

Thanks for your reply and info smile Have you tried to learn your food allergies / intolerance? I've never had an X ray or MRI done on my back or hips. Only my knees. I am suspicious of RA and am wondering if I was misdiagnosed or have both? I guess time and persistence with the docs will reveal things. Good luck in your journey....try testing for food intolerance!!!
    • Posted

Ah you have got me worried now atticus as I thought there was no connection.  I have had hs for around 18 years now but that is the only autoimmune disease I have or hope to have.

Next time I have to see a doctor about anything I will ask about this.  x

• Posted

If HS is the only autoimmune disorder you've developed in the last 18 years, then I wouldn't worry too much about it. Genetics, race and gender play big roles too. I have a family history of IBS and thyroid disease, although I'm the only one that actually has Hashimotos. I developed HS and Hashimotos within about a year of each other after I hit puberty. IBS hit me when I was about 21. I've had two doctors, an endocrinologist and gastroenterologist, tell me that I could potentially develop more as I get older.

The way they explained it, an autoimmune disease is a sign that your immune system is acting funky and it has the potential to attack more than just one part of your body. Doesn't mean it will, just that it could. And it's more likely to happen if you have a genetic predisposition, like I do. It's something to keep in mind, but don't stress out about it. Talking to your doc about it is probably a good idea though.

• Posted

Thanks Christina, I am intolerant of nightshades. They set my HS off like nothing else, and I've found that removing them from my diet not only put my HS into remission, but has drastically improved my IBS symptoms as well. Sugar tends to set off my Hashimotos and PCOS (which I didn't include in my list because it's not technically classified as an autoimmune disorder...yet). I restrict the amount of gluten I eat because it does affect my thyroid levels as well.

The nutritionist I'm currently seeing basically told me outright that there's nothing I can do about my predisposition towards autoimmune diseases, but keeping my gut healthy is the best chance I have to prevent new ones from popping up. So I keep myself on a very strict diet.

The fact that you developed arthritis so young is what has me concerned. That and the fact that you already have autoimmune disease makes me a little suspicious. It could very well be just osteoarthritis, but there's enough writing on the walls that I would get it checked out by a qualified orthopaedist, not just your family doctor. Physical therapy can help strengthen your joints as well, so that's something to consider.

• Posted

It sounds like you are definitely on the right track with the diet. It is so wonderful that your HS is in remission! May I ask you also....do you get extremely tired alot? I am extremely stubborn, so I always over work myself. I work through all the pains, but always with consequences. I'm exhausted!

I have a lot to get started on, it seems. This is all very new information for me and I am hopeful. I just want to feel 42, not 72...

Thank you from the bottom of my heart for reaching out to me with this information. My symptoms have me quite scared really. My body hurts terribly.

• Posted

I'm so sorry you're in so much pain and feeling aged beyond your years. The only time I ever feel really "tired" is when my thyroid starts acting up. With my Hashimotos it'll jump from being underactive to overactive and back again. Restricting gluten seems to help a lot with keeping it steady, but when it gets underactive I feel exhausted all the time.

I don't have any arhtritis problems yet. The pain from HS alone can be mentally, emotionally and physically exhausting so I can only imagine how much more tired you'd be when you add in your arthritic pains. Again, if nothing shows up on your x-ray that indicates arthritis, rheumatoid or otherwise, talk to your doctor about fibromyalgia, because that also causes extreme fatigue.

Also look into the possibility of getting a B12 shot. I work for a physical therapist who works with a chiropractor and orthopaedist in the same office and the orthopaedist offers those shots. I finally buckled under and tried one a few weeks ago and wow, way more energy than I've had in a long time and really it's the best I've felt since I was on my elimination diet.

And whatever you do, make sure that you are in charge of your healthcare decisions. The doctors are there to give you the best advice they can, but it's your body and you health. You are the person who has to live with the pain and exhaustion. If they can't give you an answer, get a second opinion from another doctor. Don't be afraid to be pushy or ask questions.

• Posted

Back pain?  question pelvic DVT? it was my early signal.  Some GP's can do the pin prick test that takes a few seconds.  Recent NHS changes may mean you have to go to A&E for it :-(

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.