Hidradenitis Suppurativa Theory.

Posted , 3 users are following.

I've been suffering from this horrible condition since 11. I've been researching a lot in regards to this disease and am aware that unfortunately there is no cure sad

I had a thought today as to why this may be happening to my body and was just wanting to run it by others that have the disease to see if what I thought could be a possibility, or maybe I just think to much lol.

Could it be possible that HS attacks the sweat glands in the area that it does because of not being able to remove it in its normal function?

The sweat glands that HS form in are designed to remove a lot of sweat from the body so it could be that HS is trying to remove a hormone/chemical/food or whatever it could be through that method instead of its natural route I.E through digestion, due to a misfunction? Although HS isn't exactly effective at removing whatever it is trying to. That might explain why the boils form as it becomes trapped. It keeps coming back as it is constantly trying to remove and getting stuck in the process. I remember hearing that if the body is unable to remove something it will try an alternative way of doing so.

It's just a theory. But any thoughts would be appreciated smile. I'm just trying to make sense of this disease and I feel I could tear my hair out with it!!

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

It's an interesting question.  I had a similar theory, based on my own experience with the use of deodorants.  I remember using a "sport" deodorant which had an immediate adverse effect on my armpits - they became so dry that they itched constantly.  The HS first appeared not too long after that.  Then I couldn't bear to use a deodorant and, with apologies to the family & friends, resorted to washing frequently instead.

As some suffers get HS in the groin and other places which never see a deodorant, I think that my suspicion of deodorants is unlikely to be a cause.

Although I have got rid of HS (see my earlier post), I am still wary about using deodorants,  and when I am going to be exercising and sweating profusely, only use an allergy free one.

So, in spite of my idiosyncrasy in relation deodorant use, my theory is still that it is diet related. 

• Posted

Yeh I no longer use deodorant and I feel so sorry to anyone who has to sit next to me at work sad

I think deodorant just irritate the area where HS is affected and that it blocks the top of the sweat glands as well.

Its insane how so many things can affect it. Diet, hormones, genetics. Hopefully one day all the dots will be connected to identity what's really going on under the skin to cause this.

• Posted

I used to get them in my groing and had problems since I was 11 as well. I remember waking up for a baseball game one morning to a giant boil on my leg and thats when the saga took flight for a crazy ride. I have had multiple surgries, injections, and doctors try to explain to me, why? Their are so many theories but I have come to conclusion it is simply genetics. My family has a long history of cysts and boils happening in weird places which may be why I had to deal with the condition. I am 21 now and started Humira last year and *knock on wood* this is the first year I haven't had a single flare up since being on Humira. It is truthfully a miracle drug and I have been able to feel normal againsmile Hopefully your journey ends soon and i recommend looking into Humira if you are looking for a reliable cure!

• Posted

Thankyou for the replies smile.

I do agree that genetics play a part in it as well. My mum had a few boils in her armpits when she was younger and acne. She was put on a form of contraception which they don't seem to do anymore due side effects but this helped her and she was on it till around 40.

Another thing that got me thinking is that I had congenital rubella when I was born and late manifestations in adults that had the condition can have gut problems and are very prone to diabetes (although I don't have this yet). I have had very bad problems like IBS and gallbladder issues resulting to having it removed. So with theories that HS is a problem with the gut this seems possible too.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.