HIFU Treatment didn't work

Posted , 3 users are following.

I had HIFU treatment in March 2015. At that time, my psa was 7.31. The biopsy showed 9 samples out of 12 had a gleason score of 7 and 8, and a tumor grade T2C. I had the whole gland ablated.

After the treatment, the psa was close to 0. Two and a half years later, it climbed to 5.5.

HIFU could work on patients who only need a partial ablation. But in my case, the whole prostate had cancer cells. Another thing that I should mention. I ended up having impotence.

So for the men who have prostate cancer in the entire gland, HIFU treatment might not be the best choice of treatments.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I am sorry to hear your treatment didn't work so well. Have you had any recent scans to determine the extent of the PCa?

• Posted

I'm getting another PSA test in a couple of months. If the reading is higher, I need a Axumin PET Scan to determine if the cancer hasn't spread beyond the prostate gland. If the test is negative, I need another biopsy done with the assistance of a 3T Multi-Parametric MRI

• Posted

Two things come to mind.

1. Look into undergoing a PSMA PET CT rather than an Axumin PET scan as I believe the PSMA has far more documented history as to the quality of the imaging. I had three such scans in a year.

2. It may be the case the the PSA rises even if there is nothing visible on a scan. That means that the PCa is microscopic and is too small to image.

3. If you ever need a biopsy then I agree a 3T MRI before the biopsy is vital. And the iopsy should be an ultrasound guided transperineal biopsy, which has a much lower risk of sepsis than the common trans rectal biopsy.

• Posted

Thank's for all your info barney. I wasn't aware of a PSMA PET scan.

I'm getting in touch with a couple of doctors for their opinions and comments. I'll let you know the outcome

• Posted

I am 66 yrs old and live in Canada. I was diagnosed with Prostate cancer almost 7 years ago after my family doctor noticed my PSA had begin to rise. It was 2.8. I had a biopsy done and it showed low grade cancer in 3 different areas. I opted for HIFU treatment on the entire prostate. What I had read was that it was the least evasive. Well what ever could go wrong did. I had incontinence, impotency, and pelvic pain. I also had times during the first year where I had to self catheter and had to have scar tissue removed from my urethra.

Pills helped to get a reasonable erection. A penis pump and a c**k ring helped even more. The thing that helped the most was penile injections as it gave me more girth, length and firmer erections that any of the other things I tried. Still I have definitely lost length and girth compared to before HIFU

As time went on I was able to handle the incontinence with one pad a day.

My psa started to rise gradually over the last 2 years and was up to 1.6, An MRI on June 11/2017 showed abnormal looking tissue on the anterior of the prostate. The tissue was removed July 14/2017 during a mini TURP as my doctor called it and was shown to be cancerous with a gleason of 3+4. I will be having another PSA test within a couple of weeks to see if it has gone back down  to near zero. If it has great. If not radiation.

Since this mini turp I am used 4 pads or more a day or 2 if I use the penis clamp. As for an erection not so good.

• Posted

Could I ask where and who did the treatment?

I went to Can-Am HIFU in Toronto,

Procedure done by Dr. Barkin

• Posted

I had it done at Maple Leaf HIFU in Toronto by Dr. William Orovan. I was in a study group to see if HIFU would be a good alternative for prostate cancer. I got the treatment free agreeing for a two year followup. I still see Dr. Orovan in Hamilton or Toronto and I have a local Urologist in Ajax where I live.
    • Posted

I remember talking to him on the phone before I decided who would be doing my procedure.

They use the Ablatherm and Can-Am uses the Sonablate 500. In my case, I believe that some was missed in my treatment, now I have to go through the whole process over again. Now I have more knowledge and I'm getting the 3T Multi-parametric MRI fused with the biopsy which I didn't receive before. I'll see what the doc recommends for treatment. 

• Posted

I had that special MRI and when they did the mini Turp? Dr. Orovan said he cut out the suspicious and hopefully the PSA goes down. I will not have another HIFU or operation. I will opt for radiation or hormone treatment

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.