High Alt Level

Posted , 6 users are following.

I went to see my GP for facial pain at the beginning of January, and as part of the examination she sent me for a blood test. When I went to see her a week later for the results, all the results were normal, except for my ALT level which was 55 (normal levels are 0-40). She has asked me to get another blood test (liver function and full blood count) a month after the last, to see if the level has fallen.  She said it could be down to alcohol consumption (I never drink), or pain killers (was prescribed co-codamol and then later naproxen for a few years for arthritis - not taken them since 2015 when I had a fusion op but more recently taken ibruprofen for the facial pain). Does the high ALT level mean liver damage? I know the liver can regenerate, but wondering if the years of taking pain killers have done permanent damage.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Also depends on what you eat, I also had my ALT level at 56, in my clinic normal was 7-55, I re took my LFT a month later and still was at 58, I do occassionally drink but not a lot... But also the night before I had some McDonalds fries which probably was the cause of it.... few weeks ago I re took the tests and I was a diet with a lot of fruits and veggies, My ALT went down 17 points 58 to 41... Back to normal... Just eat a lot of fruit and veggies cut down on fatty foods... And no it is not liver damage 55 is mild not high... High would be 2 to 3 times the normal like in the 300s to 600s.... Your still in the good range of improving by doing lifestyle changes!
  • Posted

Thank you for your replies. My GP just said that it was high, so obviously not knowing anything about it I started worrying once I thought about it, but realise now that the 2nd blood test is just to keep an eye on things. Will be going to get tested again next eweek, and get results a week later, so hopefully all will be back to normal by then.
    • Posted

Hi claire!

Any update on your 2nd blood test?

I also had a high ALT level that i found out about after my routine blood test from a normal doctor visit.

I eat very healthy (plant based) and i dont drink at all plus i exercise alot so i was really scared about my liver being damaged.

I still have to go see my doctor but the ONLY thing i can think of that caused the mild high ALT level is the fact that ive been taking ibuprofen (400 mg) twice a week for the last month because of my chronic migraines.

Its so scary not knowing but im glad i read your forum i feel better about seeing my doctor now.

• Posted

Hi 

In my 2nd blood test my ALT levels were well within the normal levels.  Going by what my GP had told me, think it must have been the ibrupofen I'd been taking for my facial pain (had eased by the time I'd gone back for results of 1st test so had stopped taking it), or a virus. 

Good luck with your visit to the doctor. Hope they can put your mind at ease.

• Posted

Hi, I was just about to post with a similar question, but as mine is only 33, I have no worries with ALT bit but my result flagged up

T BILI <5  umol/L with a * against it

but GP said no problems, so why would the hospital but a * against it if nothing to worry.  I cannot find anywhere on google that explains what it means.

?

?I am having pain in left handside under ribs which moves across above belly button to the right handside and my poo (sorry) is a bit less brown, but not light.  I know bili is involved in that side of things which is why I am worried.

?I hardly drink either just water so know it is not that.  Take care

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.