High ASO but negative throat culture

Posted , 2 users are following.

I've been dealing with a high ASO titre for almost a year and a half and I'm finally getting my tonsils removed next month. All of the doctors I've been to agreed that the reason is probably streptococcus and since I've been taking penicillin for over a year and still nothing changes, a tonsillectomy is probably the only answer. However, I was wondering, is it possible to still have strep even if my throat culture is negative? I don't understand, I've never had any problems with sore throat, my tonsils are almost never sore and even if they are, I'm always getting better in just a few days, so I am not the classical "you must take your tonsils out" case. The only "symptom" I have is the high ASO titer, it's usually around 700. My main question is, how is it possible to have strep, if all the throat cultures I did were negative? I'm a 22 year old female. 

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.