High AST and ALT levels- active student and I do not drink, what does this mean?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi! I am a 24 year old female and I have high AST and ALT levels. My doctor is concerned and I am as well. I rarely drink and almost never get drunk. I try to work out 3-5 times a week and I keep a healthy diet. For the past month I have been getting blood tests, ultrasounds, MRIs and every other test. I was hoping maybe someone can tell me if they had a similar experience and if they have any suggestions what it could be. I am so worried cause I always try to be healthy and now I feel tired all the time and I am concerned about my health. 

Thank you in adavance!

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

I'm so sorry that you are going through this. With MRI and ultrasound, at least they have ruled out anything major. I know eating too much protein or overhydrating can raise levels along with certain protein shakes and health supplements. Where are you in the diagnostic stage? Meaning, what are they doing next?

• Posted

My doctor said she wants to take another blood test in a month. But, I do eat a lot of protein. I'm a vegetarian and I work out a lot so I would have like 1-2 protein shakes a day and maybe a protein bar. I also drink almost 3L of water a day. I will make sure to mention all this to my doctor. I try to keep track of how much protein and water I ingest a day because it will depend on my workouts. I just never thought it could be a problem. Besides that I don't take any supplements or anything else.

Thank you for your response though! It's given me a lot to think about and I think I will have to change my diet.

• Posted

I had very high Bilirubin , like double what it should've been, but all of my other tests were normal. I was so freaked out and my mind went to so many places. After ultrasounds a colonoscopy, endoscopy and more bloodwork it was determined to be a benign condition called Gilbert's. Keep your head up and keep us posted on your progress!

• Posted

Hi Miriam I'm really sorry to say but I don't know what the problem may be a full and in depth chat with your G.P is your best bet. Sorry I cant help

• Posted

Forgot to ask. What were your numbers? How high were they
    • Posted

Those are high but not crazy high. If you flip through some of the posts on this bored there have been people with levels above 300 that ended up being a benign cause. Just be persistent in your search for answers until you are satisfied.
    • Posted

Oh my gosh that gives me some hope. I've been super worried the last month. Thank you so much for your help!

• Posted

No worries, I know what it's like to be in limbo and it is torture. Like I said, just keep on top of your doctor go to your appointments and get your answers and keep us posted

• Posted

It may be hemochromatosis, a hereditary disorder that causes too much iron to be absorbed and stored in your organs. My liver enzymes were high and that was the cause. Check out the haemochromatosis forum here for mor info.
  • Posted

If you look up specificaly what those tests measure, you'll see that bone and muscle are cells are measure in them as well.  Don't freak yet, the numbers are not alarming.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.