High Bilirubin with IBS?

Posted , 6 users are following.

High Bilirubin with IBS?

Hi all

I have been diagnosed with IBS and have an elevated Bilirubin level of 25 umol/l. Doctor said it might be Gilber's Syndrome but I dont have any signs of Jaundice.

What shall I do about it? is IBS and Bilirubin levels related in some way?

Thanks all

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I too have IBS and have just received lab results suggesting that I have Gilbert's Syndrome. I believe there is absolutly a connection, because we know that Gilbert's is due to a particular liver enzyme functioning at a lower rate, making it harder to "conjegate" Billirubin, This does make the liver work harder to function, and we know the liver plays an important role in digestion too, so it certainly makes sense to me that all this extra strain could contribute to IBS.

Have you found any foods or drink that really helps or hurts you?

Emily

• Posted

Triggering foods can be very individual. Have you tried a rotation diet, also called rotational diet to find out what foods are triggers for you?
  • Posted

I have not specifically tried a rotational. But I have several different styles of eating, cutting out certain foods. I have found that avoiding dairy is good for me. And that beets and nutritional yeast seems to help with my gastric motility and emptying.

I have been suprised that gluten and wheat are not irritants for me. I have indeed developed a peanut allergy over the last few years though. Did you develop any food allergies?

What foods have you found work for you?

• Posted

The trigger for my high bilirubin is spices and herbs.

I have had to stop eating anything spicey to keep my bilirubin level anywhere near normal.

With spicy foods or foods with herbs it was at 100.

WITHOUT these foods I am down to 27.

From memory there are research papers on this and also it is on wikipedia.

• Posted

Yes I also confirm the IBS to a high bilirubin level

My now lower bilirubin level has almost removed the IBS

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.