High blood platelet count, I am so scared now !

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello, My GP reffered me to the Haemotologist because of my blood platelets level came high. 1st test it came 488000, 10 days after second test it came 463000 and 3rd test it came 523000. I m just so worried. Is there anyone who has similar situation. I don 't know may it is me so stressed about it, My life is already stop with worried.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I would be concerned, not scared. The Mayo Clinic uses 450000 as the upper limit of normal and you are not that far out. 15 years ago I was 400000 with a diagnosis of sarcoidosis which has since gone away and my numbers fell back to 225000. The high number was caused by inflammation which is a common cause of these higher levels. Many diseases can cause the inflammation. Other causes are iron deficiency and drug interactions. Think about any drugs you have started or increased in the last 6 months. The hematologist will check to see if there is a problem with the bone marrow. As with most symptoms such as this there are always some nasty possibilities but they are often uncommon.
    • Posted

Oh Peter, thanks a lot. I am feeling little better. I have 2years n 6 years old 2kids. It just breaks my heart/world when I imagine the worse. Tomorrow I have another blood test and Friday 1st appointment with the Haemotologist. Thanks again.
  • Posted

ive had plts in their high 400s for about 15yrs now. im 31. nothing has changed in my life cos of this. they used to monitor it the first few years..but...i guess thats how my blood is made. they never found any mutation or any inflammation or whatever. sometimes we are made like this.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.