high blood pressuere

Posted , 3 users are following.

i am only 23 but i have high bp. its rise up to 140/100. now i am taking medicine....is it bad for future...

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi it will all depend on the reasons you have high BP are you overweight, do you have any other diseases that cause hypertension.

I'm presuming your GP has prescribed medication

• Posted

Some people unfortunately do have a tendency to have high BP, and may have to stay on medication for life. This often runs in families.

As Alexandria has said, the outlook and future treatment both depend on the underlying cause. High BP isn't just one condition. Has your doctor told you what the cause is?

Whatever the cause, lifestyle measures can often help a lot, even if you have to stay on medication as well. Smoking is the main contributor to high BP. If you smoke you should give it up, or at least cut down as much as possible. Being obese will push your BP up further, so you need to lose some weight if this is the case. Regular exercise is also very helpful, provided your doctor says it's OK. It's actually better to do an hour of brisk walking or cycling 4-5 days per week, rather than an occasional work-out in the gym. Reduce your salt intake but don't cut it out altogether, especially if you live in one of the warmer areas of the world. And cut out as much sugar as you can - especially in drinks.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.