high blood pressure

Posted , 6 users are following.

i am currently taking medication for high blood pressure i do have other medical problems but my readings are very simular after i have taken my meds top figure changes read between 110-180 but the bottom is the same 99 my doctor keeps telling me to come back in a couple of months is this figure ok help on this would be great thankyou jane

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

The reading you quote is very unusual. First, a systolic / diastolic of 110 over 99 is an unbelievably low spread. Second, I wonder about the readings for statistical reasons. American Heart Association says record to meter resolution of 2 mm Hg. Mark Swartz, MD and author says 5 mm Hg is about as significant as you are going get short of running a central line with continuous instantaneous readings. The auscultatory method relies on hearing a sound every time your heart beats and that should only be happening about once per second if you are vaguely healthy and rested. So if you are correctly releasing pressure at 2 - 3 mm Hg per second... See what I mean? Folks with bradycardia are even worse not to mention: How strong does a sound have to be before you hear the first tap? Anyway, something is wrong here. Seek a second opinion. Go see a pharmacist with experience taking blood pressures and see if you can get numbers that make sense.

• Posted

thankyou for your reply but i must admit its gone right over my head this could be as im from essex lol anyway the numbers are correct my last reading wednesday was 120/98 is this something to worry about my pulse is 105 but i now take a tablet and it is 92 help
  • Posted

Your readings look very suspect. The systolic(upper) figure would be around 120 - 140 or so and the lower (diastolic) reading should be around 65 - 80 - give or take. This would be when you are at rest. I would certainly see a pharmacist or doctor.
  • Posted

120 is fine but the lower figure is a bit on the high side.
  • Posted

Hello Jane

I have been told to take my blood pressure three times in succession, waiting a couple of minutes between each reading, and then to record the average of the last two readings. Perhaps you could try doing this? It would also be a good idea to take yur home monitor along to the GP or to the pharmacy and ask them to check your blood pressure on their machine, followed by your machine - at least then you would know if your monitor is recording accurately. With your systolic (higher) reading ranging wildly between 110-180, you could well be someone who has what is called 'labile' blood pressure. The diastolic figure of 99 obviously isn't being controlled by the medication. But first get that monitor checked out - you may have to arrange the appointment in advance with the pharmacist. Good luck!

• Posted

You could also be suffering from the dreaded 'white coat syndrome' when at your doctor. You get a bit nervous as you're at the doctor - and guess what, your BP increases. Best to take it at home when more relaxed. But even then the readings will fluctuate. It's a bit of a grey area - BP. If for example the reading showed 195 / 100, then yes, you'd need that seeing to.
  • Posted

thankyou for your replies all my readings have been done at the doctor im on amlodipine 10mg rampril 10and a new one doxazosin a friend of mine said i must not take 10mg of amlodipine as i am on simvaststatin 40mg so im checking that out so even with all the med and the reading in your opion is this ok
  • Posted

Hi Jane from Essex smile

If you need to do readings at home Lloyds pharmacy are very good for BP monitors. Is you BP reducing at all on the tablets that you are on? \It did take me several months(about 8) to get my bp down from 220 to 150 on amlodipine (10mg) Ramipril (10mg) and Indapamide.

Good luck with it.

• Posted

thanks for your feedback it is not going down at the moment but i have been on bp tablets for three years now jane
  • Posted

Jane, have you tried all the usual remedies like a daily brisk walk, omitting salt from your diet, also caffeine in drinks. I was also told that for every stone in weight lost blood pressure can reduce by 10%. I am having difficulty getting my blood pressure down on two medications but for me this is possibly due to having only one kidney which is no longer filtering out at 100%, plus advancing years! rolleyes Definitely worth getting a home monitor just in case the readings at the surgery are elevated due to 'white coat syndrome' - my systolic BP is at least 30 points higher at the surgery/hospital.
  • Posted

Jane have they checked you for Conns syndrome? Just a thought? Can cause stubbon hypertension.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.