High blood pressure

Posted , 5 users are following.

I started taking pills this morning but I am really worried about getting side effects. I never even take painkillers and always treat my body as a temple as I have allergies to things and carry an epi pen. The stress is all because I broke a tooth flossing and because of a reaction to anisthetic at the dentist I had to go to the hospital in a controlled environment  and discovered high blood pressure.   I have been advised not to have the filling until under control.  I feel so down about it all

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

It sounds as if they checked your blood pressure in hospital and found it was high so you're now on tablets, is that right? Everyone's blood pressure goes up and down throughout the day and if it was just based on your readings in hospital then it might just be to do with the fact that you were in hospital and through stress it was running high while you were there.  If, on the other hand, you had checks done with a 24 hour  monitor while you were at home and doing "normal" things then that's different.  My husband went to see the doctor about a swelling on his foot.  The doctor took out a scalpel and lanced the swelling then immediately said "Oh, while you are here I'll just do your blood pressure".  Of course, the reading was very high, what did he expect!!

If you're worried about side effects of the BP tablets you should wait and see if you actually get any of them as the information leaflet has lots of things that COULD happen but I wonder how many actually do.. Ramipril, which is what a lot of people start on, will probably cause a niggling cough.  Several people, including me, who were on it experienced the cough and, if it gets too troublesome they will change you on to something different.  I am now on amlodipine and have had no ill effects from these.

I have allergies to certain things, some antibiotics and definitely penicillin but I don't carry a pen as I just avoid the ones I know will cause problems.  Just give it a little time to see if the BP pills do any good, even check your own blood pressure with your own monitor, they are such a lot cheaper these days than they were but most of all don't worry because, you never know, you might not need to keep taking them if you calm down enough.  Try relaxation techniques as that is supposed to help a lot.  Last night my local WI had a talk on Hypnotherapy  which apparently works wonders, as does something called EFT or Emotional Freedom Techniques which is where you tap certain parts of your face and body and is supposed to cure just about everything - sounds funny but worth a try!

• Posted

Thanks for that. I had quite a few checks done over a few weeks.  I am taking amiodipine as well so hopefully this will be okay
  • Posted

How high is your BP and was it just on one reading?

Normally a doctor would take several readings over a few weeks before prescribing.

• Posted

It is 200/110. Not really changing much from that reading at the moment. Thanks it helps just to have someone that understands
    • Posted

Mine was 210/110 when first diagnosed in 2000. It still often is despite having been of several types of medication. No one seems to care about the highs. When I have a 24 hour BP monitor I get the 210/110 hi and the odd lo of 106/60 (or even lower) then consultants tell me it is well controlled at an average of 147.
    • Posted

Yes I can relate to that. I keep thinking just get on with life and live to the fullest one minute and then anxiety the next
  • Posted

The body reacts to stresses put on it, and one of the reactions is higher blood pressure. If your tooth still hasn't been fixed, I'm wondering if that is possibly causing your blood pressure to be raised. Also, are you in any pain? That also is a stress on the body that causes higher blood pressure. You said you never take painkillers, but are you taking any now with the broken tooth? If so, they possibly could be affecting BP. 

In addition to the relaxation techniques, or slow deep breathing a couple times a day, make sure you're getting enough sleep. That also affects BP. I know when I check my blood pressure while staying up waaaay too late, it's always  higher, but calms down after getting some shuteye. Seven hours a night is a good number to aim for.

Make sure you're getting enough potassium & magnesium also, while at the same time keeping your daily sodium to about 1500 mg a day.  You can get potassium & magnesium easily just with fruits & veggies....and celery is HUGE at relaxing the arteries. When I have an issue, I down a couple of cut-up stalks and usually see numbers start down pretty soon afterwards. 

Good luck! Hope you are able to get your tooth fixed soon and feel better!

• Posted

No pain with tooth.  Thanks for all the comments I have a lot to think about now which is very valuable
    • Posted

I have never previously heard of anyone being told not to have dental treatment or other procedures due to high BP readings. My GP once suggested that the hospital would not do an endoscopy if my BP was over 170/**. I phoned the doctor scheduled to do it and he said that It did not matter to him how high my BP was when doing it.
    • Posted

I am a sensitive person I have reactions to anesthetic  that is why the consultant said to wait until blood pressure is under control.  My thyroid is slightly under active as well but not enough to take thyroxine
    • Posted

Thanks for all the advice just come home from doctors and reading148/98  that's just 2days after starting the tablets and to think I was scared of taking them

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.