High blood pressure

Posted , 5 users are following.

Have just had new blood tests taken and have been told I have high blood pressure, a first for me.  Is this another side effect?

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Christine

I do not know.

I just came across a link between thyroid disorders and neuromuscular disorders. Has anyone else heard of this ?

I may start a new discussion on this.

Jean

• Posted

Hello Christine:  I am an RN, and I live in the USA.

Having high blood pressure is sometimes a problem with the heart and blood vessels.  As we get older our bodies make a plaque in our arteries and it can cause the blood vessels to be come constricted and the blood has a harder time going through and the pressure increases.  It  can also be from gaining lot's of weight, and that can put more pressure on your blood vessels.  Some people can get it or see it run in families.  Today we have meds for blood pressure and even cholesterol pills to stop the body from making the plaque.  People who are alcoholic can develop problems also with blood pressure, as alcohol  causes  arteries to constrict.

If you have Hypothyroid or even HYPERTHYROIDISM disease, you can develop high blood pressure.  I recommend you see a cardiologist as they specialize in the heart, and blood vessels.  A GP can also order meds for high blood pressure. If left untreated bad things can happen like a stroke.  Today it is easy to control. I hope this helps.

• Posted

Thank you Shelly

Had my thyroid removed Jan 2014 and this seems to be another symptom to add to the list.

Thank you for your reply smile

Christine XX

• Posted

Mine too! 160/110 Thursday

22nd May 150/99

142/91

I have acute menopausal symptoms too...the sooner I have the op, the better.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.