High blood pressure

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi i have very high blood pressure sometimes over 166 Dr. gave me tablets which made my ankles swell up really bad he changed my tablets, im now taking Ramipril which has made my ankles better, has anyone had any side effects to these tablets.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Belinder

I have been on blood pressure medication for the past 10 years. Was on Ramapril, then Losartan and now Candesartan. With Candesartan my feet, legs and ankles swell so much they look like they belong to an elephant. A few people suggested a durietic as well but apparently as well as helping with fluid retention they cause an imbalance of other things in your body. I don't remember any particular side effects from the Ramapril but my medication was changed as it stopped controlling my blood pressure.

• Posted

ok thanks will keep taking them and see what happens.

• Posted

Hi Belinder,

Hubby was on Ramipril for a while.  Only side effect was a dry cough. 

Currently, I'm on Lisinopril 2.5 mg which also gives me a dry cough, but not too bad.  Living with it.  I understand that most ACE inhibitors (mostly those ending in 'pril') can cause a dry, irritating cough.

Originally I was on Amlodipine, but these caused my ankles to swell.  So GP changed these to Lisinopril.

HTH   

• Posted

Hiya

I was on Amlodipine for a few months and my ankles swelled up really bad so Dr. changed my tablets.

• Posted

Hi ,I was on Ramipril ,I had a cough ,and swollen ankles  had to stop that one ,now I'm on Losartan 50 mgs ,only been on BP for going on 3 yrs .Losartan seems less side affects ,get niggles but don't know if it's that med ,not on any other meds ,have a friend on Ramapril ,gets dull ache in her arm  since on that BP ,Im always at a loss why some are on more than one BP med ,when my BP went to its highest 162 ,Dr wanted to add another. I declined ,that was 2 yrs ago .Think stress is my major factor in my high BP following an illness ,plus the menopause I might add .

We're all different in regards to meds and reactions to them .Some say there fine with one  then all of a sudden their not  maybe that's due to body changes is my guess .Interesting what others say to meds for BP ,will stay reading comments ,may learn something I didn't know .

Since mine began ,best my BP was,was when I had a neck tumor removed little over 2 yrs ago,but I was so relaxed  after op to having it removed .Wish I could have bottled it whatever they gave me for op ,surgeon laughed .

Regards to everyone with BP problem 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.