High blood pressure

Posted , 5 users are following.

I am 41 years old. I have high blood pressure. I tried multiple arbs. and ace inhibitors. they all lower my blood pressure but cause me to get gastritis and esophagitis. I am now on amplodine and after two months am starting to feel burning in my stomach again. all these pills are causing me to get gastritis and esophagitis. when I stop taking them I am fine and have no issues. I don't know what to try next. has anyone experienced this because I don't know what to do next

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Maybe just take treatment specifically for the gastritis?

I've never heard of this problem with ACE/ARB, though I suppose it's quite possible, and it's common enough for drug side effects to be problems in themselves.

I'd try a smaller dose of ACE/ARB over amlodipine, sometimes adjusting the dose does the trick.

• Posted

Maybe just take treatment specifically for the gastritis?

I've never heard of this problem with ACE/ARB, though I suppose it's quite possible, and it's common enough for drug side effects to be problems in themselves.

I'd try a smaller dose of ACE/ARB over amlodipine, sometimes adjusting the dose does the trick.

• Posted

How high is your BP?

What does your doctor say about it?

Have you tried discussing this with your doctor?

I had a conversation with my cardiologist about a year ago who advised me that some of my meds (specifically Dabigatran) had a common side effect of heartburn and reflux and that the best thing would be to treat that with an over the counter antacid.

If you haven't then that is what you should do next, if you have then go back and discuss it again but in detail this time.

• Posted

without meds my blood pressure is 160 over 100. with meds it's in range. the gastritis and esophagitis gets severe. the first time it happened I kept taking the blood pressure pills. did upper endoscopy and they still didn't think it was the pills. I had it for months. I couldn't work. couldn't eat. I wound up in the hospital and doc said try stopping the blood pressure meds. I stopped them and slowly started getting better. now I know when I feel burning to stop meds immediately. it usually takes about 2 weeks to heal if I stop immediately. also I never had heartburn or reflux in my life till I started taking blood pressure pills. this has been ongoing for over 2 years now. I been to regular doc. gastro doc. and heart doc. they seem to have never heard of this

• Posted

Hi, I experienced the similar problem taking amlodipine. Agree with earlier comment that a smaller dose may help. When I stopped taking it, I would feel so much better. Its definitely like being "between a rock and a hard place".

• Posted

hi, i cannot beieve they hav not heard of it, look at the side effects on the websites, for me all bp meds i have tried have many side effects but gut probs and worsening gastritis (i have this anyway) was one, and betablockers worse. each time i stop it is months before i get to my normality, had endoscopies, i have reactive gastritis, maybe you could discuss in more detail with gastro doctor, and have endoscopies with biopsies if you have not already - to find out more about the gastritis. i am not on meds at moment, keeping on watercress, beetroot juice, no tea and coffee (leaflet from hospital re gastro says no tea or coffee even if decaffeinated), no tomato, no citrus, etc etc

• Posted

thank u annie. I believe u gave me the answer I was looking for. reactive gastritis. the blood pressure meds for some reason cause this after a few months. I never had heartburn or anything like this before I started taking blood pressure meds. the pain u get from this gastritis/esophagitis is unbearable. I finally found a doc that believes me and is willing to help me find out what meds and amount will not hurt my stomach. But. u gave me the answer and name of it.thank u

• Posted

Hi, Vito, thanks, i hope you get things sorted with your new doctor.

Of course, you may not have reactive gastritis, but it is fairly common, worse in some than in others as a response to one or other medication or something else, but best to get medical diagnosis. As i already have reactive gastritis, i can see how much worse some meds, even tiny amounts, can make it, and bp pills - i have tried 4 types - seem to be some of the worst medications for me.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.