High Blood Pressure

Posted , 7 users are following.

My doctor has just told me that my blood pressure is too high and has prescribed Amlodipine tablets.

I have just bought a Blood Pressure Monitor but when I used it the first reading was quite high at 160/83 and my 6th and final reading was 131/76 the readings gradually got slower.Can someone explain that please.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

My high blood pressure was discovered when I had a medical for a new post I was taking up. My GP then did a 24 hour blood pressure monitor, which involved having a cuff on my arm for 24 hours & it took readings every 15 minutes during the day and I think it was every 30 minutes through the night.

The readings do fluctuate, it is how your body works. Has your GP told you to come back after a certain period, to see how your blood pressure is settling with the Amlodipine? I assume he didn't just take your BP once & give you drugs.

What was your BP when your GP took it?

You could try taking your BP morning & night for a week & then reporting back to your GP with your own findings. Good luck

• Posted

As others have commented, BP can vary at different times of the day. It's usually always higher in the morning, higher after exertion, lower when relaxed and sitting still, etc. If you've been taking the BP meds, that may explain why your BP is getting lower. Take it at the same time of the day and always take three readings, with a short gap in between. Doctors then advise noting down the lowest of the three. Keep a chart and if you notice a sustained difference or an unusual pattern forming, go back to see your GP.

• Posted

Just sitting quietly for a few minutes to take the multiple readings, seems to have been enough to let you finally get a good reading!

Next time try sitting quietly for a few minutes and then take the first reading, LOL.

And of course follow the other directions, relax as much as you can, relax your arm in particular.

Don't want to cause trouble but amlodipine has a higher incidence of bothersome side-effects than many other BP drugs. OTOH millions of people take it with no reported problems. Causes me problems, my brother takes it with no problem. Go figure.

• Posted

this is exactly what happens to me initially very high readings then they come down . Many people get white coat syndrome and i get that with myself as i worry my bp is going to be high each time i take it . Check out the forum on this web site about Amlopidine lots of info if you have no side effects then great but it is a pretty awful drug for many I have taken more than 6 different drugs some making my BP get higher

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.