high blood pressure and anxiety

Posted , 55 users are following.

Hi all. I posted a message some months ago regarding my BP, I went to the GP and ended up in hypertension crisis 200/110! My GP made me sit in the surgery for couple of hours and started me on amlodipine, this was fine until I had horrific side effects and ended up unable to walk, after few weeks was diagnosed with severe anxiety and stress so started on citalopram and propananol plus ramapril 5mg, it's been over a year now and I feel really good in myself and happy but have a phobia now of the BP machine, I had my own monitor but my family banned it as it made me worse, really want to visit GP and check it but very scared of Getting a high reading. I have worked so hard to change my life and don't get stressed and do yoga daily, anyone else feel the same? I am 38 yrs old

3 likes, 139 replies

139 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Hails.. I was in a very similar position to you with stress and very high blood pressure. My doctor put me on Amlodipine about 3 months ago which I was not happy about at al! Although my blood pressure has come down considerably already, I most certainly do not want to stay on these tablets any longer with all the known side effects! I now want to control both my stress levels and high blood pressure in a more natural way. I have now fairly recently started taking an L-arginine and L-Citulline combo supplement and reducing my Amlodipine under medical supervision. I also take B vit complex for my stress which is really helping. I can keep you up to date with my progress over the next few weeks as the L-Arginine kicks in. I am feeling better already and feel confident and reassured by all the amazing testimonials I have been reading about this supplement.  

• Edited

Hello hails63112:

I, too, suffer from anxiety-enhanced Hypertension, particularly "white coat syndrome" resulting in "medical office and in hospital" BP results that are in excess of the actual intra-vessel pressures. I've had checkered success with my homeBP monitors, the results of which have been somewhat disappointing.

Getting an appointment with my doctor is a challenge and a costly event; something I try to avoid if at all possible. So I looked for a way to get a reliable assay of my BP from time to time. Our local firefighters are cross-trained as EMS Technicians and know a good deal of basic Medicine, many trained as Military Medics and Nurses in addition to their extensive Firefighting training. 

So, I walked into my local Fire Station, told them what I was looking for and was warmly welcomed by the entire crew, offered  home made cookies and given a wonderful  "quick check-up complete with BP and Pulse Ox! They even offered to provide an EKG without charge, if I so desired! Talk about "First Responders" - yeah!! 

Buck 33691

• Posted

ahh  love this   we  should all go to the fire station instead of the doctors

was your pressure ok in there then I too suffer from the same consition Buck   are you in the UK ?   this post  has cheered me up no end

cheers

• Edited

Hello Helen07568:

What a lovely affirmation! Thanks so much for your comment. I live in Missouri, U.S.A. which right in the middle - what folks call the "fly over" country. Here, our Firefighters enjoy a special kind of respect and admiration, especially since 9-11! As a country, we've bestowed the respect to which those good folk have always been entitled. 

Our ambulance service in Kansas City is provided by the Kansas City Fire Department, so when you call for help you get the ambulance, a fire truck! and a police car. You'd think it was a national emergency. Anyway, I've had so many ambulance calls over the last 15 years that I've come to know and rely upon the FD for such help. Most of my "emergencies" have been due to very low blood glucose and they arrive with cake icing in hand! (that's a quick way back to normal) 

The crews have invited me over to their "house" and shown me around offering a variety of free medical care; just because they're nice. Plus, helen, my Son in Law who lives in Denver is a Firefighter and EMT. He suggested that I just drop in on his brethren here when I had a need. 

Thanks, again for the nice comment and best of luck getting comfortable with BP issues - I know it's a big job. 

Respectfully, 

BUCK33691

• Posted

Hi Buck  sure is a big job..

around about the millenium time I visted New York city twice and was amazed at the emergency srevices over there police fire and ambulance to every 999  call or 911 in USA  coming from the UK it is unbelieveable we do not pay for these services over here well we do it is incorporated in our annual council tax that is applied to every property in the land ... but  can wait for a long time for an ambulance to arrive or the police will only attend certain crimes and the fire service only for fires or major accident scenes it is not standard for all three if you know what I mean.. 

Back to bp issues its all down to how you are thinking at the time the cuff inflates thats the hard part anticipation so its a try to do nothing at all policy how hard is that I am not on meds for BP but when I get super stressed which is very often It can reach dangerous levels hey ho as they say

take care Buck and thank you for your kind words

• Posted

Hi I have the same high bp I'm do anxious on amldipine and just started citalopram today I also have phobia against bp machines aswell
    • Posted

Hi Mary

Can I ask how high is your BP? Have you conquered the fear yet?

• Posted

Hi when first had high bp it was pre hypertension so been on bendroflumethiazide for 4 yrs then got it done 2 weeks ago 210/160 now on amlodipine aswell it is coming down slowly now but my anxiety is through the roof
    • Posted

I stopped taking amlodipine because I think it made me anxious and depressed and gave me dizzy spells .stopped for 10 or 12 days now and seem to be on the mend . Hope this helps. By the way did you read possible side effects ?
  • Posted

Sometimes I get hung up on my BP machine but getting a bit better when I remember to ask my self "Well what are you going to do if it is really high? You aren't going to call an ambulance are you?  No, so there is no point in taking it then is there? Go and do something else and stop driving yourself crazy".  Often it really works.
    • Posted

You're absolutely right! Taking bp readings when feeling anxious is definitely the wrong time to do so. You'd be so conscious of anticipating the reading, that it would certainly elevate the bp.Also, it's never a good idea to take readings if you're in pain, or not feeling well. Besides one high reading isn't anything to worry about. Take 3/4 readings, throw the 1st one away, then average the others.That's your reading. Don't keep taking your readings over & over again..THAT too causes anxiety. Good luck!!!
    • Posted

Doing something else is easier said than done mine is due to stress as my mum has cancer and my son I'm having problems with him my bp is not due to an unhealthy life style or weight
    • Posted

Stargazey I love your comment and wether people like it or not, it is a brilliant way of putting it .. whats the point of taking your pressure when you are anxious about  what the reading is going to be  I get what you are saying thanks for that comment puts it all into perspective
  • Posted

I am sorry Mary, I am in no way making light of problems, it just works for ME when I am obsessing.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.