High blood pressure and Poorly Managed Hypothyroid

Posted , 8 users are following.

Recently my doctor switched me from Armour to Levothyroxine and converted the dose incorrectly.  I ended up taking the wrong dose for probably 6 months.  Then I found out I have very high blood pressure and I am only 34 but I've been hypothyroid since I was 19 (15 years+) My recent TSH was 51 and my blood pressure is ranging from 144/102 to 155/120!  I am wondering if there is a connection because I have no other apparent health problems and otherwise relatively healthy lifestyle.  Has anyone had experience or knowledge about this?

1 like, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

kerry have you got a BP monitor that can detect if the pulse is irregular and I note that you have not put the pulse measurement in. Has your Doctor put you on too low a dose of Thyroxine causing the TSH to get to 51. Do you know what your BP was while taking Armour. My BP can go up and down and in turn get irregular heart rate,

Also what are you taking now.

• Posted

Hello Kerry:

My name is Shelly and I am a nurse in the USA.  I have Hashimoto's Thyroid disease since 1987.

I am sorry to hear what happened to you because of the wrong dose.  If you were on TOO HIGH of a dose for a while it would cause a higher BP.  All thyroid meds are hormones and can raise the Blood Pressure as the T4 level rises.  Your reading are off the chart!!! 

Too much T4 which is Levothyroxine can cause a fast heart rate, profuse sweating and even chest pains, anxiety and a constriction on the arteries, which would make the Blood Pressure go high.

It would be wise to buy or get via your NHS system a Blood Pressure machine.  You may need some blood pressure medication for a short time or until the level calms down and it can take several weeks and up to a month to go down.

Also please watch your sodium intake. Sodium also causes blood pressure (BP), to rise and will not help, so read labels on food  packages and buy low sodium for a while.

You are young and can get through this okay, as long as you do not have any underlying heart disease.  Try not to gain any extra weight as that causes problems with BP, and do some walking for a 1/2 hour.  It helps to have some mild exercise to keep the heart healthy.

Keep us posted on how you do and make sure that the doctor gives you the correct dosage. Normal starting doses of LEVO are 25mcg (micrograms not MG's.).  You will need to have your TSH level checked in a month or so.

Regards,

Shelly

• Posted

Thanks, Shelly.  My TSH has been high for a while/ thyroid has been low.  This is what is confusing to me.  It would make sense if I was on too high a dose to have high Bp because I know it raises heart rate but for my thyroid dose to be too low and Bp to be high?  Not sure why this is happening.  I only just started today on a better dosage.  They referred me to an endocrinologist and want to check my kidney function on Monday.  I don't like this.
    • Posted

Hi Again Kerry,

If the hormone levels are low (hypothyroid) the heart needs T3 and T4 is also in the blood, and if levels are low, this can make the heart work harder and also cause the high BP. Also what your intake of FATS/Lipids  and ask for a cholesterol level just in case it may be high.  

Gee, glad it was not too T4 and he under dosed you.  Once you build a new level , it should calm down.  It can take about 6 to 8 weeks in most people to bring up the low thyroid. I know we all wish it was faster.

Your kidneys also help control the Blood Pressure so it is wise to check them and to make sure you do not have renal (kidney) disease.  Many people who have high BP are on diuretic's -water pills, which help to reduce extra fluids the cells hold onto.  Extra cellular fluid can raise volume in the body, and the kidneys help us excrete extra fluid.

Please take the medicine without food in your tummy.  Food blocks absorption.   Some people take it at night.   Keep us posted and any questions just ask.

Regards,

Shelly

• Posted

Thanks Shelly,

i really appreciate it.  I go in again on Monday.  I will keep you posted!

best,

Kerry

• Posted

Hi Shelly, if you are reading my posts please put your opinions and reply. I would really appreciate them.

Thanks

Sam

• Posted

Hi Kelly, I am Sam. I am on Levothyroxine sodium 75 mcg per day and I m taking it regularly from past 3 weeks. My Blood pressure has gone severely high 150/ 102 and pulse rate of 120 beats per minute. I never had Blood pressure and last month also it was normal at the GP clinic.

I m a type 1 diabetes from past 9 years. What you suggest me ? Is it possible that after taking 75 mcg of Levothyroxine for 3 weeks , BP can go that high??? Also heart beat rate is high.

My TSH was 7.5 and my Free serum T4 level is in normal range. Please suggest and advise me.

Today I been to my GP and she gave me Ramipril BP medicine to take 1 tablet daily.

• Posted

Sounds like your dose may be too high. It takes about 3 months for the blood test to accurately reflect the levels in the body. Try reducing the dose to 50 mcg and building up slowly. Take your basal pulse (ie after been lying down resting for an hour) to check whether you are on the right dose. Basal pulse should be about 60 beats per minute. Speak to your doctor and ask their view on reducing the dose.
    • Posted

Hi Barbara.

Thanks for your reply. I saw Gp yesterday and she reduces my Levothyroxine dose from 75 to 25 mcg per day. But my main concern is the high blood pressure 150/100 which is coming now.

Do you think that 3 weeks of levothroxine overdose (75 mcg) can increase blood pressure to this high?? My Gp now started me with a BP medicine...

Thanks

• Posted

I'm sorry Sam, I've never had a problem with high blood pressure so can't answer your question - I only know about the stuff I've experienced. I hope someone else can.

If it were me I would take the blood pressure meds for a month whilst my thyroid was adjusting to the reduced dose, then I would talk to my doctor about stopping the blood pressure tablets to see if it's still high when I'm on a lower dose of thyroxine.

• Posted

Ok Barbara.

Thanks for the reply. I hope Kerry or Shelly from USA would read my concerns and reply to me. I will really appreciate

Thanks

• Posted

On the 'trust me I'm a doctor series' on TV they proved that 30minutes of brisk walking a day reduced blood pressure. Worth a try?

• Posted

i Barbara I was taking 180mg of Armour and the Dr. for some reason decided to compound my thyroid and it was 324mgs? not sure of last letters. Anyway I lost 12 lbs but my thyroid was low.. When I kept losing to much weight down from 118 Lbs to 104 he put me back of my 180 and then lowered it to 150. 

I have white coat and so kept think that was the problem, but since they have lowered it my blood pressure gone up really high. I keep taking it and at home it is about 150, but went to the doctor yesterday it was 209 and they could not get it down. Why would I have low blood pressure on a high dose of thyroid and high blood pressure on 150 which they put me on.. 

Thank you for your time and  hope you can help me.

• Posted

Hi Nana, I have only researched stuff that is relevant to me and I don't have high blood pressure so I can't help you except to give you some pointers where to start your research. I'll pm them to you.

• Posted

hello everyone, just signed up. i may be a couple years late but this interests me. what did you do and what happened?

i would add a small amountt of t3, 1/2 mg until your t3 is up to where it should be. that will help immediately, within 30 minutes. i would also go back to armour, it has a small amount of t3. TSH is produced by the pituitary and is perhaps the worse measure of your condition. get a full thyroid panel done and forget tsh.

i have had tsh of almost 300 before radioactive iodine treatment. someone asked about high tsh and the dangers of that.

after 16+ years on armour, SAFEWAY changed me  to a generic. i didn't notice for six weeks and went hypo. t3 brought bp down from 201/94 to 140/84 in a half hour. this is only for hypo folks, not hyper! levels normally level out in 6-8 weeks. hope you had good luck! john

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.