high blood pressure and Sudefed

Posted , 6 users are following.

Just thought I'd share my experience and see if anyone else had the same problem. I have been taking 20 mg of Lisinopril daily for mild hypertension for the last 3 years or so. I have had little or no side effects and my bp has been relatively normal. However during my recent 6 monthly check at the surgery my diastolic was back up over the 100 mark. After thinking about what I done differently as regards exercise etc, the only thing that was different was that I had been suffering from a heavy cold that had left me with blocked sinuses. To clear the problem I had been taking Sudefed as directed on the packet. So I did a little research.

It appears that the active ingredient in Sudefed cancels out the active ingredient in Lisinopril. I have stopped the Sudefed, and have since had my bp checked at the surgery again, 120/82. There was nothing in the Sudefed box or the leaflet in the box to suggest that there may be problem. Has anybody else experienced the same?

[size=9:111877e406][color=olive:111877e406][i:111877e406]Sorry but Patient Admin have removed either a telephone number, an email address, and or web address, from this posting, as it is the policy of Patient UK not to publish these on this forum. [/i:111877e406][/color:111877e406][/size:111877e406]

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Only that there is always a phrase on the box saying that you should ask your doctor if you are on any other medication. at least thats what it says on Sinutabs which are basically the same as Sudafed. I take Sinutabs cos' my BP tablets cause a form of sinusitis, so they each balance each other out, probably in favour of the sinusitis rather than the blood pressure, but you can't have everything
  • Posted

Pseudoephidrine is the reason . This ingredient constricts blood vessels to reduce mucus and clear airways but thus also ups your BP therefore.
  • Posted

Yes you're right!

I've always wondered why Sudafed's PIL does not mention anything regarding antihypertensive medications; I would've though such information wil be mandatory taking into account Pseudoephedrine's (the active ingredient in Sudafed) mode of action is related to a rise in BP.

• Posted

I also had problems with Sudefed, my local chemist explained the problem when I tried to buy some. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.