High blood pressure - anyone have symptoms?

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi, I have always read, and been told by doctors, that it's impossible to feel when your blood pressure is high, but I beg to differ. I am taking 10mg amlodipine and 4mg doxazosin at the moment, but if I forget to take my dose, I certainly know about it. My heart starts to pound and miss beats, I feel nauseated, breathless, shaky and extremely anxious, In short, pretty dreadful sad It's at the point where I am terrifed to be any distance from the house and then realise I have forgottent to take my tablets. I sometimes find it even starts as I'm approaching the time to take them, so even though most days I stick to the same time, I start feeling unwell beforehand. The problem is that I am between a rock and a hard place as I get side effects from the meds, which are unpleasant, and have done with several of them over the years, yet can't lower them because my blood pressure soars. A real nightmare; this is starting to rule my life.

I wondered if anyone feels anything like this, or any other feelings when their blood pressure is running high? I can't surely be the only person who knows without doubt that they have high blood pressure? I would be very interested in any thoughts on this. 

0 likes, 39 replies

39 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi I was on Valsartan (320mg per day) for high blood pressure, for years but unfortunately the 160mg dose was stopped being manufactured and the doctor put on Losartan 100mg. I started having terrible nosebleeds which happened at random . So I went back to my doctor and he put me on Doxazosin 4mg the same as you! I have now got very bad swollen feet, ankles and legs. Do you suffer with the same symptoms? I have noticed my eyesight isn't so clear and keep cleaning my glasses thinking they need cleaning! I get floaters in my eyes and are quite noticeable when I look into the light! I also get muddled and confused and notice my heart beating faster and I can feel it pounding in my chest! I am so fed up with this condition, I am at my whits end! Like you say it takes over your life!
  • Posted

I agree with you, Flutterby 52, about feeling the symptoms of high blood pressure. I can tell when my blood pressure is going a bit higher than normal just because I'm aware of how my body feels when it is doing well, and I watch for things like my head starting to ache, or being too thirsty or just an overall hard to describe feeling but I know it's off. Then I check my blood pressure, and it's usually higher than I like. 

In general, most people who aren't really thinking about blood pressure aren't looking as those symptoms as a reason to check their blood pressure, so may not even be aware that there is a problem until a possible huge wake up call.

Regarding your symptoms, have you tried doing natural blood pressure lowering techniques to complement your medicine? Sometimes by doing several of them consistently your blood pressure can lower enough for a doctor to start lowering dosages of your medicine, and even gradually coming off of it. Just simple things like lowering sodium in your foods, or eating foods that actually help your arteries relax, such as celery. That's the first thing I go to when my blood pressure is high is celery (a couple stalks) and usually see a BIT of a drop in numbers within an hour or so.

I know it sounds really too simple, but even things like making sure you're getting enough sleep at night (7 hours at least) can help. If you have a hard time sleeping, eat some foods that contain tryptophan about 90 minutes before going to bed so that it can get into your system to help you sleep.

By no means am I saying to stop taking medicine. Just if you haven't been aware of there being other ways to help alongside the medicine, you might try adding some techniques to see if it helps. 

• Posted

Hi lubyj2. I too have been feeling very "off" at times. I can feel fine for several hrs then feel weird.. slightly upset stomach & headache. ''Tis can last a few to several hours then suddenly ease. I think of 7 days I only feel well for 4. I think Drs are having a hard time finding the cause.  My tests keep coming back normal, but I know something's going on..'this is not all in my head. I started seeing a Naturopath yesterday& he has ordered blood work to se if there's a possible vitamin deficiency. My body was elevated at the Naturopath yesterday but I was not well, don't know him & I was in strange surroundings. I'm at wits end. What do you suggest I try.

• Posted

My advice is to avoid Naturopaths as they are expensive and not medically qualified. It is in a GP's interest to cure you and get you not needing more appointments. Naturopaths need you coming again and again for tests and consultations to make money.

If your GP tests were coming back normal they are normal and should have covered and vitamin deficiencies. 

What medications are you taking as most likely the way you feel could be a side effect from them.

• Posted

Derek76. I'm taking 50mg Atenolol, 160/12.5 mg Valsartan & 1mg Doxazosin. I also take 2potassium supplements (potassium chloride) all under prescription of course. 

I hear you about Naturopaths not being medically qualified. Even taking a bp reading (both arms) he did not tell me "palms up" or whatever. I was sitting on the bench, feet dangling & back not supported (totally wrong from what I've been trained to do)!! I have an appt at the lab for blood work so I'll see the results in a few days. 

My Gp didn't check for B12 but I'm positive it's fine. You are so right the Naturopath is expensive but I'm trying to find the culprit of why I feel so awful frequently. The vitamins (if deficient) could be very expensive as well as he'd want me buying from him rather than the pharmacy where it's much much cheaper. I will not fall into that trap. 

I was also told by the Naturopath that magnesium is RBC on the blood test. -Yes I've had RBC in a blood test & its normal unless "magnesium RBC" is different. 

Anything else you might suggest would be greatly appreciated. I also have very sore neck muscles which may be a cause of the headaches???

• Posted

Mike. Are you in the UK as we get a lot of Americans on here and things are very different with them.

My GP's web site lets me access some of my records and I can see all the tests results from blood tests they certainly include B12. 

There was an article in the Daily Mail recently warning against naturopaths and their tests and treatments. Also the Trust Me I’m a Doctor, BBC series said that few of us on a normal diet are vitamin deficient. They also analyzed ones from different well known sources and many did not contain the stated amounts and some none at all.  

• Posted

derek76...No, I'm not in the UK..I'm in Canada. 

My GP is a bit of a dinosaur whereas there is no website, but I can access the results of bloodtests through the Laboratory that performs those tests. One signs up for an account, then logs in a few days later & they can then view the results. Of course, the results are sent to the physician, but I always like to see the results before I get a call from the Dr. .

I'm a little confused by what you said re vitamin deficient. Did you mean to say that a lot of us are indeed insufficient, or this is what the Naturopahts are saying to people perhaps to get them to buy their vitamins? I"m a little wary of buying the vitamins from the Naturopaths, etc..because of the ridiculous prices they charge, when I can get what they suggest at my pharmacy, & I know the Pharmacist well, & he'd steer me in the right direction. Some people believe that natural vitamins etc wont interfere with their meds...& that is so wrong in many instances. 

• Posted

No, if we we are on a half decent diet we should not need additional vitamins. The body gets rid of what it does not need. Iron is one thing people often do need. Before having heart surgery I needed a ferritin infusion to bring up my iron levels. 

Some people need a bit of Vitamin D in the winter to make up for lack of sunshine. We don't as the sign coming into town says Welcome to the Sunshine Coast.

As you say the pharmacist is your best source of information. My only encounter with one in your country was with a French/Canadian one in Quebec City who did not speak English.

• Posted

I just read a post elsewhere on Patient with this on B12:

A "normal" person has several years "store" of B12 in their liver but gastric surgery prevents this being replenished so after the 13 years gap between surgery and diagnosis and treatment I was probably running on "empty". 

There are many other causes of Vitamin B12 Deficiency/P.A including diet, medications, other autoimmune diseases, family history, and surgery involving nitroud oxide etc etc  but my purpse on this forum is to advise those who have suffered gastric surgery to be aware of the danger of becoming B12 Deficient - also known as "The silent killer".

• Posted

Hey derek76...I totally agree with you..if we are on a half decent diet, we shouldn't need additional vitamins. About 3 years ago, after a blood test, the Dr. I had then told me my B12 was 'borderline'., & he suggested I take 1000mcg B12 2to 4 times/week. I met him in the middle, & I take 1000mcg 3x/week. Top level according to the lab is say 650...whereas mine sits at 525, so I'm good in that area. I have never been told of any other vitamin deficiency. I do eat faily healthy., very seldom eat red meat, love green salads., eat low-fat yogurt, skim milks, etc.etc., so I was a little surprised that my B12 was becoming questionable, especially because I eat in such a healthy way,& I'd never had any sort of serious surgery.

When I go back to see the Naturopath in 2 weeks, I shall go with an open mind, but if I don't get to see the blood test results 'til then, I will ask him to show me what he got back from the lab. I may be able to view those results online, but considering he's not a medical doctor, that might not be possible. I can assure you that I will NOT be taking a load of vitamins that I don't need, although some people do. If it's discovered that any of my vitamins are low, I'd be very inclined not to buy from him..again because of the ridiculous prices those people charge for a vitamin that can be bought just as equal from the pharmacy. 

Quebec is a different province from mine. I'm in Ontario....but I will say that there are a lot of French/Canadians who CAN indeed speak English, but refuse or let on they can't speak English. 

• Posted

Flutterby52...BP elevation can be very sneaky. You can feel great with elevated bp..although some people experience the worst headache of their lives, or they just don't feel well, period. You stated you take 4mg Doxazosin. That's an Alpha-Blocker...so if you miss that medication, of course could very well cause the symptoms you're describing.

• Posted

i think this symptoms are side effect of treatment . i think from doxazocine but you review your doctor and tell him about these complians

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.