High blood pressure at 20?!

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi. I'm a 20 year old female and recently I've been having very high blood pressure. My most recent was 165/103 and my pulse 84. It's usually high end of 130 anyway but this has scared me. I eat relatively healthy, don't drink, don't smoke and I walk at least 20-30 minutes a day.

What worries me is I also have sinus tachycardia (my pulse can sometimes go to 190) and second degree type 1 heart block. I'm extremely worried and I'm yet to be put on any medication for anything. I can't get an appointment with my cardiologist until late June. I also have undiagnosed seizures. Does anybody have any advice? Thank you.

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

• Posted

Get to see your gp as soon as possible and get him to chase your appointment up sooner
  • Posted

Amie, your BP is very high for someone but your age. Have you had any blood tests done? I ask because a friends son who had similarly high BP at 19 was discovered to have kidney disease. You need to have it fully investigated sooner rather than later.
    • Posted

Hi Gill, all my tests are normal bloods wise. The only thing they can find is sinus tachycardia on ECG and second degree heart block type 1.
    • Posted

It is good that your bloodless are normal because that at least cuts out some things. If you are an anxious person that can raise BP, but I do think because of your age this high BP needs to be fully investigated ASAP
    • Posted

sorry not bloodless but blood tests
    • Posted

Strangely I've just done my BP now and it's 108/75 with my pulse 78. Shall I still go to the doctors or is it because I've been stressed?
    • Posted

Amie that is not particuarly low, so please do not worry about it. I would suggest taking your BP say 4 times per day (definitely not more often or you will get anxious) and keep a written record which you should take to your next doctors appointment. Isolated high and low BP are usually nothing to worry about, it is when it is consistently too high or low that doctors start to get concerned.
    • Posted

Hi Gill, thanks for being so helpful. Is there anything I can change in my diet that will reduce blood pressure? I've totally cut out of pop. Also, at what point should I be worried? Like, is there a high number that indicates I should ever go to the hospital? (I don't want it to get dangerously high without me knowing!) x
    • Posted

Amie, as you mention you have been stressed, then no doubt that is the reason for the hike in your BP.  However, as you have been diagnosed with second degree heart block and tachycardia, you should make an appointment with your GP to check that all is well, and, if not, s/he should bring your appointment forward.  My hubby had to have a pacemaker inserted but that was because of third-degree heart block, not second-degree like your's.  It is not wise for any of us on this forum to advise you what to do medication-wise - that is for the medics to decide.  Importantly, try and do some sort of relaxation therapy such as yoga, tai chi, avoid all salt (including hidden salt in food and drinks) and drink plenty of water.  Good luck and R E L A X.  
    • Posted

Yes there is a point at which you need to get attention with your BP. Last September mine went up to 200/140 and was immediately admitted to hospital. Certainly if it gets above 170/100 consistently (over one day) or 180/110 as a one off you need to see your doctor ASAP. As for diet the most important thing is to cut out as much salt as you possibly can - use herbs and spices for seasoning instead. Also have as little processed food as possible as most of that has too much salt in as well. Always check nutrition labels for salt.
    • Posted

Thank you MrsO. Yeah there was discussion about a pacemaker in the future, however they don't think I need one. They're going to implant a loop recorded for a year to rule out any higher degree block just to be safe. This at such a young age has made me really anxious but in trying not to think about it too much. Thanks
    • Posted

Thank you I'll remember that. What was your treatment, how did they bring it down in hospital?
  • Posted

make gp apt ,he could start you on low betta blocker would reduce bp and lower pulse .gp needs to chase cardiologist apt ,there  always a waiting time .try not to worry as this will put up bp and increase pulse rate. easier said than done as i know
    • Posted

Hi Linda, I have been very anxious lately. Could this possibly put my BP up? I know it can my pulse. Also, would I be safe on beta blockers with the heart block and seizures and sinus tachycardia?
    • Posted

Hi all, for the past two days my BP has been normal in the 120s and low 90s but tonight I've just done it and it was 156/90 with my pulse 108. I'd just ran up the stairs. Should I be worried? It's sometimes normal, sometimes abnormally high.
    • Posted

It is normal for BP to go up when you have done something energetic. 

If you had taken BP again 30 minutes later it would have been back to normal

• Posted

Amie, I echo what Gill has said.  You will probably have found that your BP along with your pulse is normal again this morning.  Perhaps next time you run up the stairs (I wish!), you can give it a try, and let us know the result.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.