High blood pressure at 22

Posted , 3 users are following.

This Friday I decided to go to the doctor cause my throat was hurting and I thought it'd rather go before it worsened, to my luck the doctor didn't worry much about my throat, but more about my BP. They checked my BP three times and these were the readings 140/120, 132/108 and 132/100. They tried giving me a pill but I didn't want to take it. I was terrified and started crying after they told me I could get a stroke! They gave me medication and I have been taking half of one, once a day. I was telling the doctor that I panic when they check my BP. When I got home that day it had gone down but not to the normal rate. I have to go back in two weeks so they can check again and give me my blood work. Any advice, I wouldn't want to be on the medication for the rest of my life if I know I can do something to keep it under control.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Glenda,  ....recommend taking your blood pressure at home several times a day. The readings from home will give you an idea of your BP when you are not in Drs office. Some people have the white coat syndrome which causes BP to rise.  Take your results to your next appointment. 
  • Posted

Telling you you could have a stroke with those kind of readings is a scare tactic, nothing more than that.  Most physicians, unless they practice holistic medicine,

want you to take prescription mediacation, because that's what they learn in medical 

school.  My pressures have been 190-200 over 110-120, but I was always given

a rapid actiion intravenous med, because those are the kind of readings that really

can cause a stroke.  You didn't mention your age, but I was told there is more of a risk with people who have had high #s over many years, because that damages the

intimal linning of the vessels   To put your mind at ease the #s you mention are hardly capable of causing a stroke, that is unless you've already had much higher 

readings for years already.  Relax, you are your own worst enemy, panic alone,

can cause myriad side effects that are harmless for the most part, unless you have

some serious cardiac pathology going on that we don't know about.

• Posted

Glenda, in response to Mesim's suggestion that you take your BP several times a day to see what it is, that is totally unecessary, and

it  will only cause you to stress over what it will be everytime you 

take it.  What I would suggest, and this is what a nephrologist suggests

his patients do, is to check it once or twice a week, but never at the

same time, and that is all that is necessary.  The fact that you reacted

so stongly, (crying) when the dr. told you you could have a stroke speaks volumes as to your emotional stability.  Checking your BP several times a day will do nothing to keep you emotionally stable, that's for sure.  A nephrologist, by the way is a dr. who treats benign (essential), or malignant hypertensiion.

• Posted

Thanks for all of your advice, I really appreciate it! Today while I was at work I got a phone call, and I immediately got an ugly gut feeling. It was the doctors office calling to tell me to pick up some prescriptions because my thyroid had came out abnormal. When I was 16 years old I got some blood work done and they completely confused me that I didn't go back after my third lab. First they said I was anemic, so I went back and did another one and they said I wasn't anemic but I had a very high sugar, so I went back again and they said No sugar or anemic but you do have some issues with your

thyroid. I was so tired of all the stuff they told me so I didn't get any blood work done until this week.. I will start my thyroid prescriptions tomorrow and have lab on Monday so they can see if they are working.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.