High blood pressure from pred.

Posted , 9 users are following.

In the last month I am having high BP readings like 159/95. Rheumo said it's from pred but go thinks not but why all of a sudden? Started on diuretic low dose- usual protocol . Hasn't worked yet. I am not overweight and BS normal.

Can anyone relate?

Took my second careful walk outside which felt wonderful even at a snail's pace.

0 likes, 31 replies

31 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

That seems to be one side effect that I do not have, but have SO many others.  My B/P has been great, even better than usual!  My MD did increase my diuretic to 25mg. from 12.5 to help with the edema I have from the pred.  The only problem I've had from the PMR was occasional painful hand cramping so he reduced my amlodapine (norvasc)  to 2.5mg. from 5mg.  I get pitting edema, I've gained 10 lbs., and amazingly my blood pressure is down!  You figure.       Good for you, keep walking; exercise is good )I actually do not do enough, little energy)         Hope theyi figure out why your B/P is up!
    • Posted

In some patients the inflammation in PMR/GCA narrows some of the arteries - and that leads to raised BP. Once they take pred and the inflammation is gone the arteries are back to normal and their BP falls again.
    • Posted

Eileen, my BP was good in the weeks before I started pred but suffering from undiagnosed PMR. I have been taking my BP periodically over the years because my mom had it. I also have a Bp device checked against the doctor's mercury manometer for accuracy. Within a few weeks on 15mg on pred I had readings of 140/100 rather consistently. I never had a diastolic reading that high even when extremely stressed. The pharm info with pred I got from the pharmacy indicated hypertension as a side effect in some people.

The vascular inflammation with PMR influencing BP does intrigue me but not sure it's happening with me. Interestingly, after I went down slowly from 15 to 14 the BP went down to 140/95. Still too high for my vascular system so I visited my GP who prescribed the 12.5 hctz. It seems to be helping because my numbers are down slightly in 6 days.

With all pharmacological agents there are patient genetic factors in play which influence individual responses to meds.

I am a retired nurse-anesthetist in the US. I saw this many times administering anesthetics.

• Posted

No - you sound to be one of the people for whom pred raises BP which is probably more common.

My response was to Elijo's comment "You figure...". There are reasons to account for it all!

• Posted

Great, hope that happened to me.  Fortunately I have had NO PMR pain since starting the prednisone Nov. 1.  I'm doing a gradual taper.
    • Posted

Brilliant! That's what everyone would hope for!
    • Posted

Yeah!!! Now to get rid of that extra 10 lbs, edema, brainfog, bruising, UTI's weak muscles,  etc. I'll be cooking!
  • Posted

At the request of my GP, I'm currently testing my BP at home over a 3 week period. I bought a very simple BP monitor from my pharmacy for £20.

My BP is borderline too high and I'm hoping I can avoid having to take yet more meds.

My rheumy confirmed its due to pred, but having also put on a huge amount of weight, it has exacerbated the problem.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.