High Blood Pressure medication causes severe headache/head burning effect

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi all,

My mother have a high blood pressure of as high as 160-200+.

The doctor prescribed her amlodipine and beta nicardia but both medicine causes severe headache/head burning side effects.

May I know is there any suitable medicine that won't cause this problem.

Thanks.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi withhelds, if you look at the thread on Amlodipine you will see that many people have experienced very unwanted side effects when taking this drug - more it seems than with any other BP lowering drug.

There are many other medications on the market to deal with high blood pressure. My pharmacist says the one about which he hears the least complaints of side effects from his customers is Losartan Potassium.  

I'm sorry I don't know anything about beta nicardia so can't help you with that. 

• Posted

Ditto to Mrs O's response to you.  It looks like your mother needs to pay the doctor another visit as soon as possible and discuss the side effects she's experiencing.

Good luck

Alex

• Posted

Hi MrsO and Alexandra123, thanks for the prompt reply.

Actually my mum tried quite a few medications as prescribed by doctor but most medicines causes side effect like severe headache/head burning effect.

The doctor mentioned that this is a very rare case but emphasize that there would be at least 1 medicine (out of hundred plus) will be suitable for my mum.

Hence, I am trying to see if I can help to narrow down the clue by asking if anyone got similiar experience.

Seems like Amlodiphine and other medication which my mum tried are classifies under Calcium Channel Blockers.

Losartan Potassium which MrsO recommended is classify under ARB. I think it may be a good idea to try a different classification of high blood pressure medication. Will definitely discuss with the doctor on the next consultation.

Thank you smile

• Posted

No idea how the medics decide who takes what but there seems to be a fair bit of trial , error  and tweaking involved. Good luck at the next consultation and keep us posted.
  • Posted

Hi, I have been on Amlodipine plus Doxasosin for some months now,this was after trial and error , I too suffer from burning sensations,mostly in my feet,my BP has reduced greatly and my doctor is of the opinion that if I can tolerate the side effects,these out way the risks of high BP.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.