High Blood Pressure - Methimazole? Help !

Posted , 3 users are following.

I tapered from 10mg Methimazole down to 2.5mg and my levels were beginning to stabilize. Long story short, I went off Methimazole for 6 weeks - got dizzy - Endo put me back on. 

Mid Oct. I had annual physical. BP was 120/70 - my norm on BP meds. However, I was off Methimazole. A week later, Endo had me back on Methimazole 2.5mg

Got sinus infection last Monday - so bad teeth pained and eyelid blew up and formed a stye. BP was 180/80 when nurse took it. DR took it 10 mins later and it dropped to 160/80.  I'm already on Verapemil for BP and migraines and BP has been under control for years. 

I read a sinus infection can raise BP due to narrowing vessels. Not sure if it's true. I also read Methimazole has caused high BP in some patients.  My BP wasn't really monitored the months I was on Methimazole so I'm not sure if it was up or not. 

I'm on Augmenten but my BP was up  before starting. I still feel sick as heck. Totally congested and sinus pressure.

Any idea what could be causing high BP suddenly?  Anyone experience this when on Methimazole or with illness?

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Sophie 

I feel pretty good. Thank you for asking!! I think I had problems because I was coming down with a killer head and chest cold. UGH. I'm better now but it's hanging on mildly. I'm thinking this must jolt the CNS or thyroid? My BP is back to normal, thank goodness.  It's crazy though because on certain days (occasionally) I feel hyper but it disappears quickly and I'm back to normal then. I have a feeling the nodule is spurting only now and then. I see the endo on Jan 9th. I'd like another ultrasound to see how much it shrunk. Even with a sore throat and this coughing, I have to search to find the nodule, so I know it's going down. 

How are you feeling?  I hope you and your family have a beautiful holiday:-) I'll keep in better touch. 

hugs 

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year !!

Jaye xo

• Posted

Hi Jaye..thanks for writing back.  I'm glad you're doing better smile.  I'm doing fine right now.  I'll be waiting to hear how your appointment on the 9th...hopefully great news.  Have you read about ethanol injections to get rid of toxic nodules??? I've been reading..they are being done in different places through the U.S.  No different than having a shot of novocaine.  I don't know if it's something you can look into.  Of course, I'm really waiting to hear if your nodule is going away...i've never heard of it, but it is the season of miracles!!!!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.