High Blood Pressure. No cause

Posted , 4 users are following.

Ended up in the ER the other night

BP 190/137

and then various other high ratings

Was taken straight back to the emergency room I had no other symptoms was taken straight back to the emergency room I had no other symptoms

EKG was normal

All cardiac labs (troponin etc) were perfect

TSH good A little on the low end but within range

Medicine through an IV stabilized BP 127/70

even though it kept jumping at various time they had done everything they could without being able to figure out why I had such high numbers

then out of nowhere my heart rate shot up and I was in a full-blown panic attack mostly because I kept looking at the monitor previously and seeing those horrible blood pressure readings thinking I was gonna die right there in then

they gave me 1 mg of Ativan

that call me down and sort of knocked me out for a little while once it wore off I seem to be doing OK they did a chest x-ray which was clear

The ER doctor was getting ready to discharge me with follow up with internal medicine or an endocrinologist just for further testing when suddenly my heart rate shot up to 150 then 160 then back down to 90 and became erratic

She had techs rush me to over to CT with contrast for a scan to check my lungs for possible blood clot but that was clear except for the fact they found a small cyst on my spleen which had probably been there for a long time however they found my thyroid was diffused

finally everything settle back down and I was discharged after being given another IV of fluids and so forth and still follow up with an endocrinologist unfortunately it will take four months to get that appointment as well as a long wait for Internal Medicine

I have multiple sclerosis in addition to this which I have had for 10 years

I really didn’t want any medicine because I try to take as little as possible but she didn’t think I needed to be on blood pressure medicine or anything like that I question is does anyone have a clue what would cause this and could it really be that thyroid and with a simple thing like Synthroid maybe help with that

I need to have an ultrasound on my thyroid as well but in the meantime I’m doing all I can eating a very very low salt diet doing the best I can with exercise daily given I have MS but I’m just very concerned if anyone has any thoughts I would be so grateful

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

hi taylor0824 i hope youre doing better. i had the same blood pressure spikes that were due to lack of sleep some 18 months ago . i was on the night shift for years.

they got me through all sorts of tests too and everything turned out to be normal. it got to a point where i could not even get out of my bed , it took about months of plenty of night sleep and i had to wean myself off bp meds (with my cardiologist 's guidance) as they dont agree with my body at all.

I thank God for my healing and its been about 8 months since i had a bp spike.

now i have beets along with breakfast and occasionally at supper to help maintain my bloodpressure at an average of 110/70.

i sincerely hope that youll have full recovery.

• Posted

I do not think salt is a problem when not taken in high doses, you may need to have salt less foods, or foods with no much salt in them. Stay away from the salt shaker for a while.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.