High blood pressure out of nowhere

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have had normal blood pressure for as long as I can remember 120/80. Then this week I started to have severe chest pain and when checking my blood pressure it was 178/85 and then it went down to 150/90 and now has settled at 160/105. I went to the ER and they said all my tests are normal. The cardiologist gave me some blood pressure medication but the levels haven't moved and the pain is still there. I am supposed to run some more tests soon with the cardiologist. I am worried because I have had this increase in blood pressure all week and I just had gallbladder removal surgery last month. My surgeon says this is unrelated, but I don't know what else could be causing this. Has anyone else experienced this?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hello Vince, you mention your gall bladder surgery, are you taking any drugs as a result of this surgery?  I just wondered whether taking new drugs [to you] might have triggered the hypertension.

• Posted

I Googled  hypertension following cholecystectomy & came up with responses mainly from Google Scholar but maybe you could sift through them & see if there is something that helps you & that you could then mention to your Clinician.

• Posted

Thank you for the advice I will Google that. I am not taking any medicine from the surgery. I was on pain medicine, a stool softener, and nausea medicine. But I have been off of those for a few weeks before this started.
  • Posted

The cardiologist put me on some blood pressure medication and now it seems to be normal after rest. My chest is still hurting really bad, but hopefully that is a good sign.
  • Posted

Vince - when it's "Sudden" out of the "Blue" high bp (And it's not anxiety only) benign adrenal tumors can be the cause. It's called - Pheochromocytomas? - It's rare but is worth a check.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.