High Blood Pressure pills are lowering my blood pressure too much, what should I do?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I recently just turned 20, but at 19 I was diagnosed with HBP in August, I have switched pill types twice due to their harrowing side effects. The first was Amlodipine (2.5 mg), it gave me heart palpitations and chest pains. The second was Lisinopril (2.5 mg), that gave me the same effects with a change in my digestive track, so to speak. I am now taking Bystolic (2.5 mg) and they've been doing really good in lowering my blood pressure. I went one day without pills before I started taking the Bystolic and my blood pressure was 131/101. Now my blood pressure is around 100-120/50-70. I've been seeing floaters and stars, not frequently but I have noticed them here recently. I would like to note that the floaters are "locational". What I mean by that is when I'm in my house I may have like one or two in my eye from time to time, but when I go other places I'll see more as if the air is dirty or something lol. I also have been experiencing dizziness and feeling tired and really really dull head pains and I would check my blood pressure and it would read around 110/55-65. I am at home for break right now so my eating choices have changed obviously lol, but when I go back to college I eat very healthy now watching my salt intake (no more than 1500 mg a day) eating a big salad with every meal and I drink nothing but water (backwards, I know). Not really worried about it though, I just came here for a lil third party advice on what I should do if my medication is now dropping my blood pressure a lil too low and any additional advice on maintaining a healthy blood pressure to soon be able to get off of blood pressure pills permanently.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Well, it's good news when a drug works! Bystolic appears to be a beta blocker with half-life at least 12 hours, so it may build up in your system over some period. 2.5mg looks like a small dose, but maybe an even smaller dose is called for. You might talk to your doctor and/or pharmacist about simply cutting the pills in half, as I do with (already tiny) atenolol pills, another beta blocker.

This will also make it easier to see if you can get off them entirely, you're not supposed to just drop beta blockers in general, you taper off, but when you're already on a very small dose it should be easier.

I take 1/4 of the normal daily dose for atenolol and it works well for me, and when I take anything more than 1/2 of a normal dose I feel like a zombie. Maybe some people just don't need the average doses.

• Posted

Thank you for your response! I will definitely speak with my doctor about that. I hope that one day your blood pressure will become stable enough on its own to where you do not even have to take them ever again.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.