High blood pressure tablets

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi all 

I have been on high blood pressure tablets Amlodipine and Rampril since 2012 and my GP is trying to add a third tablet to my regime.  The first one Furosemide caused me to go so dizzy I had to hold on to the wall to walk, very scary.  He then tried me on Indampide and I had to rush to the loo.  The 3rd one he has tried me on I can't remember the name of it but I woke up in the night and vomited everywhere and I already have a phobia of being sick so I came off that one.

I am just wondering why my body just rejects a 3rd tablet?  My blood pressure is still 154/100.  Unfortunately hypertension is in my family, all my aunts and cousins are all on blood pressure medications and they all started in their 30s.  I am 34.  Where do I go from here?  

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Maybe your doctor can raise the dosages of one or both of the original two medicines or change diet. Have any family members had success? Yes. Then compare notes. Make an appointment with a nutritionist or dietician. Or try an exercise program. How is your blood pressure on days you barely eat. Are you overweight?
    • Posted

I am on the maximum dosages of both Ramipril and Amlodipine.  I am also a type II diabetic and have hypothyroidism.
  • Posted

You have two posts one on BP medication and one on statins. You must know the route to take.

Did the tablet make you vomit or was there another reason. That is an unusual side effect.  

• Posted

It was definitely the tablet as I stopped being sick after coming off it.  
    • Posted

Quite a few can cause nausea but I've not actually been sick with any.

• Posted

The two medications you list help the body get rid of excess fluids, and it is quite common for these or other diuretics to be combined with medications such as Ramipril and Amlodipine to arrive at a complete treatment for the management of high blood pressure as each works through a different action in the body.

The side effects you describe are not uncommon, and like many, usually settle down after a while. You do not list how long you took Indapamide, going to the toilet is natural and expected, as these tablets help your body get rid of excess fluids that may otherwise be stored in body tissues, and the sudden urge to pee usually subsides after a while. It is unfortunate the doctor did not tell you this, as you should have been encouraged to stay with them for a while if there were no other side effects.

Unfortunately, many medications used in the treatment of High blood pressure can be poorly tolerated, However do not despair, due to the complex nature of blood pressure management it may take some time and trial and error to arrive at a combination that works for you, this is perfectly normal, if a little tedious or disconcerting for the patient.

• Posted

I think that diuretics can be temporary if low sodium diet is achieved.
    • Posted

I can't afford to keep going to the toilet as where I work the toilet isn't always 'accessible' as it is a patient toilet and I can't get upstairs to the other staff one.

• Posted

Dear Alison,

I find the following food supplement tablets reduce my BP.

olive leaf extract, turmeric, enzyme Q10, odourless garlic, mistletoe, hawthorn and omega 3.

Live long and be well.

Yevgeny

• Posted

How much have they reduced your readings? You could also add beetroot juice.
  • Posted

You do not say he doses you are on. Indapamide at a dose f up to 2.5mg is a vasodilator not a diuetic and is often wronly prescribed as a diureic.

The Amlodipine is also a vasodilator and has an additive effect when combined withIdapamde (at up to 2.5mg).

Furosemide is a short acting diuretic. I would try 20mg of furosemide when you get up taken with 10mg Ramipril then another 20mg of furosemide at about 2pm. If you were prescribed a single dose of 40mg this may cause the side effects you say. I would try that without the Amlodipine (only with your doctors consent).  

A better diuretic is Chlortalidone at 25mg (once a day early but in the UK you hae to cut a 50mg tablet in half and 80mg Valsartan can be better than Ramipril. If you need more BP control add 1.5mg Indapamide (to valsartan and Chlortalidone). The 1.5mg Indapamide reduces m BP by 15 systolic and 7.5mg diastolic but dont take Indapamide with a CCB for exale Amlodipine 

• Posted

I am not going back on Furosemide.  I don't want to stop the Amlodipine or the Rampiril as I am fine on them.  I would forget a dose at 2pm at work.  

• Posted

My Mum was put on frusemide for severley swollen ankles and legs even though her blood pressure was normally a little on the low side. She did not cope well, she did not know where or when she was, she thought I was her sister in law and was talking about preparations for a wedding that took place in 1949. 

I did not understand why they thought she had heart failure, and although the swelling pointed to that. diagnoses, it wasn't that, she had an unusual lymph gland cancer, they never ever figured out exactly what is was before she was taken out by a stroke, in a coma for days before she eventually passed.

I disagreed as i had seen heart failure in my father, and his symptoms were nothing like Mum had. 

After sitting with her for a number of days and very concerned, in a private hospital, I noticied she wasn't drinking her earling morning tea, her breakfast cuppa, or mid morning tea, let alone other cups of tea or water, her jug was still full from previous day, I conculded that she was dehydrated rather than the other way around and my suspicions were proven to be true, she was taken off the frusemide and her so called mental health improved immediately, nothing wrong with her mental health that being properly hydrated helped.

I hate to think just how dehyrated she was when I raised the alarm, but she was a tough old birdie.

Don't overlook the possibility of de-hyration as a symtom of that frusemide you were taking.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.