High blood pressure that causes symptoms

Posted , 6 users are following.

Is generally said that high blood pressure doesn't cause any symptoms, however every time my bp goes higher than 140/85 I have horrible symptoms, like dizziness, fast heart rate, anxiety, chest pain... Does anyone else has the same problem? How do you cope with that?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Will.  I have some of that, some arrhythmia problems that generally get worse if my BP goes up - though generally a bit higher than you've said.

But it does seem those are two different problems.  The one *generally* gets worse, but not always.  And sometimes I have the problems even when my BP is low, even very low.

So you can have to different problems that overlap.

• Posted

TWO different problems. 

Wish we had edits.

• Posted

That’s not really considered HBP to most doctors. Mine thinks that’s an ok pressure Because some people  run a bit high but it also depends when the blood pressure was taken and the fact that it fluctuates hundreds of times a day 

Mine is always high when I go to the doctor

• Posted

What medication do you take?  I would experience dizziness and anxiety when my bp would “spike” to levels >140/>90 and I was on Losarten 50 mg.  Although my “normal” bp when on medication was ~110/~70.   I am off medication now and my bp is ~120/~80.   I did not need to be on medication, and I got off it under medical supervision.

• Posted

Hi Will

I only knew I have high bp when I started getting dizzy whilst walking briskly.

I hope you find the meds that suit you.

Take care

• Posted

will2390...actually, I've never heard that elevated bp doesn't cause any symptoms...but it CAN be silent in some people, which is why it's called the 'silent killer'. Some people do get headaches, dizziness, etc.

Your reading of 140/85 isn't all that bad, but you haven't stated your age. What meds are you on?

• Posted

Hypertension is a strange beast. Some readily experience symptoms which i suspect are more prevalent when your BP has been raised for quite some time and have not been aware of it. Yes age and meds would be useful to know, however, 140/85 is now considered borderline Stage 1 / Stage Hypertension (American Heart & Hypertension Society 2017). Also useful to post your BP trend especially if you have your own BP monitor.

• Posted

Errata:

borderline Stage 1 / Stage 2 Hypertension

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.