High blood pressure, what to do and what meds to take!

Posted , 4 users are following.

Due to a very stressful legal situation I have gained 50-60 extra pounds and my blood pressure is constantly about 180/110 to 159/109! They put me on lopressor 50 mg, I liked it since it help me sleep then they switched me to Norvasc 5 Mg! Today I came back from Court and I took my blood pressure and it was back to 180-160/109 Mark! What is everyone doing to lower their blood pressure? I have a lot of headaches and constant need to eat and weight gain! Was thinking about going back to the ER, not ready to blow a vein in my head! That would make the people I’m in a lawsuit with very happy! 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Can you get in to see your regular doc? If I have problems with BP I call my doc and explain situation to the nurse. They get back to me.

• Posted

In the US common practice is to prescribe multiple BP drugs at once.  How were your numbers on the Lopressor (metoprolol)?  Maybe not good enough?  So they should *add* the Norvasc (amlodipine), not substitute it.  Even though I, and others, don't like amlodipine much, it works for some and others it makes miserable.

Then there are at least two other classes of drugs to add further, the ACE/ARB drugs, which tend to be the most effective, and also a good old diuretic.  In my case it's the diuretic that did the most good, it let the others work, and the others didn't work without the diuretic.

Of course the weight gain is not helpful, and court cases drag on forever, so good luck on all that!

• Posted

Please ell me why you and others don't like amlodipine (CCI)?

THANKS

• Posted

There's a list of side effects and I've had some, in my case heart arrhythmias triggered and worsened.

OTOH my brother has taken it for years without problem.

The whole idea of a calcium channel blocker seems to me not a good one.  The most common alternatives have even more common side effects, though different.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.