High blood pressure with Peri

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi I have been on here a few times about different symptoms, I'm 47 and I haven't had a period since August I have always had low blood pressure but 3wks ago I went to the doctors about my monthly migraines I have had for 10yrs but have got a lot worse since I haven't bleed, he took my blood pressure and it was 159/105 then took it 5mins later and it was 153/109 so said he wanted my bloods done, which I had done last Friday and my pressure was still the same and on the high side, bloods due back this Friday. My question is can your blood pressure rise when your going through the change because this all seems to have happened since I haven't bleed at all. My doctor is now talking about putting me onto blood pressure tablets now so I am little confused by all this. Oh and he also said my migraines should be getting better as I'm not bleeding now so more confusion. 

Any advice or help would be much appreciated 

Thank you

Karen

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I believe so, mine is the same way. Not quite as high as yours, but I was always normak before. My stupud dr. disagrees. I refused to go on BP meds though. I told her I feel fine. But I do get hot flashes throughout the day, so could be an on set with it, and she didagreed with me.
  • Posted

Hi Karen, perimenopause has many symptoms and side effects. High blood pressure is one of them. My blood pressure tends to run on the lower normal side. However, since perimenopause my bpd has gone even lower, making me pass out. If you exercise often then your np would be normal but since you probably don't it's going up. Maybe consider doing a big of exercise and you can bypass taking bpd medicine. Yes. I've always worked out so for me if my bp is over 120 it's high for me. Highest I've ever had it was 130 and it freaked me out. So I suggest you start walking at least 20 minutes a day. Hope this helps.

• Posted

I was prescribed BP meds before entering Peri I changed my diet, added exercise and was able to stop the meds (II continued to monitor though) Last Jan I started symptoms of Peri (nauseous, aches, etc) Many trips to ER no one confirmed this but of course with all the worry and anxiety associated with finding an answer my BP levels would rise (Dr. suggested return'n to meds again)😨😢

Finding this forum answered SO mny qstns/concerns.. Ive been able to stop meds, lower my pressure w/diet & yes exercise is key! (I walk 2 miles 3x a week) Please note that whenever our bodies suffers distress our BP can rise temporarily... A nauseous spell may caus mine to elevate to 145/89 or evn 154/93 but it soon returns to normal.. Try not to stress and ANY exercise incorporated is a helpful factor! 😉

• Posted

Yes, I didn't start having issues with my blood pressure until peri menopause hit. Prior to that my bp's were always normal. So it is definitely hormonal.

• Posted

I am now even more baffled by all this, my bloods came back today and are all good which is brill but the doctor put no further action needed. What about my high blood pressure that's why I had bloods done in first place. So my blood pressure going from being on the low side to 153/109 is fine and doesn't need any intervention. So confused now.

Karen

• Posted

Hi Karen

I'm going to tell you what your Dr should have told you. Buy a blood pressure machine. Mine has always been low. 110 over 60 something. I had my hysterectomy and it started running high. Every time I went to the Drs. I bought the machine. Take it 3 times a day, 3x times each to get an average. It's normal at home. Higher than it used to be but nothing to be concerned about. "Normal for my age" they say.

It's called white coat syndrome. Hopefully that's what you'll find.

If not, if it keeps running high. Top # over 150, bottom # over 90, I would find a new Dr.

Hope this helps.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.