High Blood sugar and Hyperthyroidism

Posted , 4 users are following.

I've had hyperthyroid symptoms for the past 8 years, (I am a 21 year old female) and only recently did the doctor believe me because all of a sudden I had a high blood glucose. I did the diabetes test and checked my c-peptide, diabetes test came back negative and c-peptide was normal for my age and weight etc. (I am 1.78 tall and weigh 65kg) 

July 11th,  I was given 10mg of Carbimazole to take twice a day and my blood sugar has been much better (I've never liked candy/sugary drinks/junk food etc, so my diet has always been really good and I've always been a very active person) 

So my question is, has anyone been through similar experiences and how long does it take for blood sugars to go back to normal after one has been given treatment? My doctor says it could be weeks but for some people it takes months. 

Thank you in advance for those who reply. 

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi it is an interesting one my blood pressure rose just before and has remained higher  after I was diagnosed with hyperthoridism.  The doctors dont belieeve there is a connection, however, I am not sure why.  My rationale is with hyperthoridism you are as it says Hyper and therefore it may affect and bring about other conditions.  sorry cant help with your question though
    • Posted

Hyper when everyting is speeded up so the blood pressure will rise!!

Jean

• Posted

Oh for sure! Everything speeds up with Hyper, I remember my heart was racing so fast I thought I was gonna have a heart attack! and so did my BP, it was sky high. which was really strange for me because I work out on a regular basis. 

I'm sorry your doctor doesn't believe you, trust me, I know how hard that must be! I had to go through 5 different doctors and two endo's until I found the right one. And the doctor that I go to right now is the first one who has ever said to me "It doesn't matter what the blood tests show if the patient has all the symptoms, he/she should be treated anyway" 

Dont give up! Just find the right doctor who will believe you and tell you that YES, THERE IS A CONNECTION. 

Good luck and I wish you all the best! 

• Posted

Hi everybody

Do anyone know anything abou subclinical hyperthyroidism? it is a seperate entitiy.

Does anyone what this condition entails, what its management, treatment is please. I would be very grateful if someone could shedon this often under diagnosed and unrecognised condition. Is it due to multi nodules\/

If so is surgery, RAI or carbimazole the treatment etc.

I would be extremely gateful if someone could enlighten me please.]]

Has anyone gone through it ?Many thanks

JEAN

• Posted

Was the carbimazole prescribed by a GP or an endocrinologist?

Can it be bought on the internet?

Jean

• Posted

it was prescribed by an endo. The GP wouldn't give me any medication, they wanted to "wait" while my body was slowly destroying itself....

I don't think you can buy it on the internet, and I wouldn't advise you to self-medicate as there are many complications/symptoms that may follow as one starts treatment. That's why people always start with a heavy dose and gradually reduce.

Trust me, find a good Endo, and let him/her help you! 

• Posted

You sound as though you are in the US. Things are different here in Britain.

May I ask you what your tsh etc were?

Jean

• Posted

Hello Diana:

I am a Nurse and live in the USA, and I have Hypothyroidism. 

Sorry to hear you have Hyperthyroidism. When you have too much thyroid hormone it will effect the heart rate (pulse) and blood pressure, (constriction on blood vessels).  I know it sounds weird that it does this but the gland controls a lot in the body. One of the things it controls is the metabolism, that controls the way you make energy & the way food is digested and stored in the body.

The body takes a while to adjust to new levels and settle down.  I know in this fast paced world we are in we want it all done now!   It could take 6-8 weeks for most and even longer in some people maybe 3 months or so.  Give it some more time.

If the blood sugar remains high and does not respond, they have oral medication that you can take to reduce high glucose in the blood.

Keep an eye on your blood sugar.  Watch any intake of Alcohol as it has hidden sugar in it. 

I hope this helps, Shelly

• Posted

Thank you for your reply Shelly! It really helps alot!

I keep an eye on my sugar all the time, I test in the morning, before meals and 1-2 hours after my meals, I don't consume any alcohol (never have) and I don't smoke or use any other substances. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.