high bloodpressure symptoms / anxiety

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello All, I was diagnosed with high bloodpressure 2 years ago, I was in hypertensive crisis at docs 200/110! At the time I had been suffering chronic stress for a number of years, and suffered with anxiety and panic attacks, I have been taking citalopram for nearly a year and feel much better, however I have developed a phobia of the BP machine! A horrible phobia, I can't even be in a room with a machine, I feel so silly but I am so scared of having a stroke and think about my BP every day, I just want to be able to have it checked as it may be okay but I can't do it! my GP is sending me for phobia councelling and has told me that there is no rush, he has made a plan with me to conquer my fear but I worry all the time, and think about the way I felt when my BP was very high. I had headache every day, severe neck pain, some rectal bleeding, ringing in my ears, I don't know if these were bp symptoms or stress but now if I notice any of the above I start to panic that my BP is really high. This has taken over my life! I read everything related to BP and take ramapril 5mg daily, my GP prescribed me propananol which is a miracle drug but I put 2 stone on in a few months and working hard to loose it now, I am 37 yrs old! exercise daily, eat healthy, drink weekly, wanted to know what symptoms others have experienced with high BP?

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

My blood pressure last Septemer was even higher than yours (220/130 at its highest) so I had to be admitted to hospital for a few days but the only symptoms I had were headache and pain in my temple. I did have other problems because I have 12 different medically diagnosed health conditions excluding high blood pressure. I am now on propanolol 160g, Enalapril and lercanidipine and my BP is well controlled
  • Posted

hails, the best person for advice is your GP and it sounds as though he is being caring ad proactive in arranging for phobia counselling.  You could also try joining the 'panic attack' forum on this site where there may be others who may be able to share successful outcomes from their treatments.  Also, have you ever tried yoga or tai chi classes, anything that helps to calm you.  Also, taking up a new hobby of some sort will redirect your thoughts away from worrying about yourself and your phobias and panic attacks.  
  • Posted

My partners bp was way higI higher than yours and he was put on high dose enalapril and asprin and was put on 24 monitor that day, that was 18 years ago and that was after a very mild stroke.

Please try not to worry, I had white coat syndrome and mine was high not quite as high but 160/94 and pulse 160 after a week of taking it three times three times a day it's now down to a brilliant level which can sometimes be near the low end, just taken itabout ten minutes ago and it was 106/65 with a pulse of 74 so shows what fear of taking it can do.

Just tell yourself that it will be high because of your anxiety and eventually it will come down and you want fear it so much

• Posted

Hi Alexandria do you take bp medication or was it white coat?   and I feel for  hails it is difficult  and do you know I honestly think that panic alone can put bp up to these high levels it is amazing what panic can do !!! 

bp phobia is a very difficult condition to treat 

• Posted

Hi no meds as they realised after a week of testing it was below normal level and is fine now, took a year of panicked test for them to get me to except it was white coat syndrome, still goes up when a certain Dr takes it LOL and he's not that good looking LOL
  • Posted

I was diagnosed and put on amlodipine just over a year ago for very high blood pressure. Prior to this I was suffering from panic attacts for most of my life. I took magnesium for a couple of years and they just went away.  I read up on it and panic attacts can be caused by a magnesium deficiency some times.   If you read up on high blood pressure as well it can be beneficial for lowering.   I am not a medical professional so ask your doctor first.  Hope you get it under control soon
  • Posted

Thank you all for your replies, you have helped me by sharing your experience, I really worry about my bloodpressure everyday and it effects so much of my life, I just want to get it sorted, I haven't done my BP since December and it was 119 / 78, I hope the councelling works as I just want to be able to get a reading. my friend asked me to join the gym with her and I know they check your BP when you join a gym so I can't do it! Also I went to a spa with my friends but I was scared to use the jacuzzi, I am determined to concur this phobia, good luck to you all and hope you are well.
    • Posted

I was told my Dr to join the gym and after being exercise phobic since I was in my teens, went and she was shocked how high my bp and pulse were but knew I suffered from wc and anxiety so got me on treadmill and I was bricking it, have learnt to love it and I think it's helped my anxiety and panic disorder plus lowered bp right down, so spend the next God knows how many years scared like me or go go go for it, you want regret it promis

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.