High bp

Posted , 5 users are following.

I'm only 27 and my blood pressure is high well not the top number it's just the bottom number and me being the hypochondriac Iam I'm so scared that I'll have a heart attack I been on Bp meds for about 2 weeks and it's still high it was 101 this morning

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

• Posted

Maybe you are so worried you caus it to go high when you take it. Thats what i used to do. Mine is actually fine,just had to stop worrying about the numbers. Xx
    • Posted

Exactly! I used to get white coat hypertension, where my bp would shoot to dizzy new heights when read at the GP's. Bought a home monitor and until I calmed down when using it, my bp was still high, lol.

• Posted

What was the initial reading? Top ands bottom numbers. Was this done by the GP?

Was 101 the top or bottom number?

• Posted

It's slightly elevated by today's acceptance levels. Readings used to be based upon 100 plus your age, and is still regarded by many in the medical profession as acceptable. your reading was not anything to be scared of. It's more likely you were tense and worried about the outcome.

Blood pressure rises and falls all through the day and night.What is important here is not to become obsessed and continually monitoring it.

You have opted for meds to control it but you must give them time to absorb into your system and to level out.

I have very high bp but I just get on with my life and don't dwell upon it. At first I was a bit unnerved but that attitude only made the problem worse.

You'll be okay honey. Don't be scared. Cut down on adding salt to food and look for salt content in processed foods. Just eat and live sensibly but don't become fixated or think you are about to keel over with a heart attack. Chances are you'll live to a ripe old age smile

• Posted

my panic attack brought bp up to 220/100

and usually go up with low anxiety/worry

were you worried?

• Posted

Me too! I've been that high and then some. The more I worried and monitored it the higher it rose. BP doesn't stay at one level anyway. It's up and down all the time. But it's not nice when you're scared. I understand that.

• Posted

Yes and often if its high at the doctors its because of white coat syndrome.
  • Posted

When is ur BP high? Like I get high BP in stressful situations like going to doc etc...
  • Posted

Doctors are not so concerned about the bottom number.

BP meds take time to kick in, so relax...anxiety and worry can up the BP

My blood pressure was 230/130 for months....I'm still here, and new BP meds kicked in. Took a few weeks. Worry just makes EVERYTHING  worse. Part of the reason (doctor agrees) that my pressure came down is that I got so absolutely sick of worrying about it, that I stopped!!!!!!!!!!! The mind is a powerful thing.

• Posted

I am basically going to agree with everyone anxiety, especially anxiety attacks spike bp easily. This has happened to me. You are taking bp meds now anyway. I once tried those and didnt work out because when i was calm it went too low and i got side effects. I decieded to ignore all it and then on exam my readings were fine, took me a long time  and a full cardio work up to stop caring abt "numbers" of it. This is defientely something if you think abt it you make it worse kind of thing.

• Posted

Mine went too low also and I felt dreadful. Stopped the meds and carried on and I'm still here. Same thing happened with one of my sisters. She stopped her meds 14 years ago cos they made her feel so ill. But hey ho everyone's different.

• Posted

My doc wanted to put me on meds right away. I didnt,mine would probably have gone too low with meds. That happened to my mom,she was on it when she didnt really have high bp just white coat syndrime.
    • Posted

I think that happened with me, same as your Mom. Mine was sky high when at the GP's or self-monitoring but dropped  so low on meds that I felt ill and faint most of the time. Mine went in the bin and I've been fine evr since. But that was a personal choice/decision only and not to be taken as advice.

( My son is called Lee!!! biggrin )

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.